Changing patch names (rename)

Terry Kelley

If you have a VST that only shows 0 ...127 for the patch name on the midi track, is there a way to rename those numbers (or assign them) to patch names? I was playing with the Define in Midi Instruments Preferences and while I can create a list, I don't see where I could point the VST to use that list rather than the numbers.

The VST is the Munt MT-32. The VST shows the names on it's properties screen but the patch in the midi track is always a number.

Any input appreciated.

Edited by Awats

Unfortunately, Cakewalk will only show patch names that are presented to it by the plugin itself. At present, Instrument settings only apply to hardware MIDI instruments.

It sounds like Munt MT-32 isn't publishing the names of the patches.

You may want to consider contacting the plugin developer to see if they can add patch names to their VSTi.

12 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Unfortunately, Cakewalk will only show patch names that are presented to it by the plugin itself. At present, Instrument settings only apply to hardware MIDI instruments.

It sounds like Munt MT-32 isn't publishing the names of the patches.

You may want to consider contacting the plugin developer to see if they can add patch names to their VSTi.

I got a reply from the Munt developer:

Munt VSTi supports MidiProgramNames feature set (getMidiProgramName, getCurrentMidiProgram functions) to send program names to hosts. But the host also has to support this mechanism. This is the only standard mechanism defined by VST 2.4 specification for sending program names to hosts. Unfortunately very few host supports this. The only one known by me is Cubase ...

If there is something that can be done here should I move it to Feedback Loop? Or should I drop it. :)

Edited by Terry Kelley

• 8 months later...

Previous versions of Cakewalk (even very old and simple such as Sonar LE) were able to automatically retrieve the banks and patches names from the VSTi. This clearly is a regression (and it's very complicated to deal with the current situation when using several different VSTi racks providing rich banks of sounds).

=====

My bad, patch name retrieving was working with DXi, not with VSTi. Forget what I said... If I lost my patch names when migrating to Bandlab Cakewalk it's because 32bit DXi are not supported (while 32bits VSTi are)... So I did not realize I was using the VSTi instead of the DXi.

Edited by Joss