Dr Tele Funk ! New Mix w a Much Better Ending

kennywtelejazz

On 9/17/2019 at 2:59 AM, Øyvind Skald said:

Really great playing. 

Do you use plugins for sound or the old best way? 

I use the old best way a real amp , Glad you enjoyed my playing

On 9/15/2019 at 7:22 AM, jerrydf said:

Great sound, nice punchy and raunchy.  The ending is quirky, not a problem in principle, just that the sax sound is a little weird, and probably needed some stereo widening .. probably.  I have Jam Origin guitar and bass, never used them properly yet, I ought to have a go with them.

jdf

I would urge you to get acquainted with Midi Guitar and Midi Bass since you already own them . I find playing my guitar along w synth patches helps my overall musicality on guitar ...

As far as the sax and what's quirky about the tune in general goes , now that the other thread has run it course I may decide to offer up a hipper mix .

On the down low I update some of my tunes on Soundcloud all the time ( as long as I pay up on  my SC Pro Subscription   LOL ) 

thanks for the listen

On 9/14/2019 at 8:50 PM, emeraldsoul said:

me like. Yep the bass needs a higher hpf. Still dig it. A groove like that covers a multitude of sins, or even just too much low bass. cool riffery Kenny.

I'm glad you like it .

My whole thing on the guitar is to play w emotion and feel ...in a perfect world not only would I be a Great Guitar player I would also be a Great Engineer .

Since I don't live in a perfect world I will accept being a very quirky guitar player  that needs lessons on how to engineer ..

thanks for your listen and your  feedback ,

Kenny

Hi Kenny!

Really enjoyed that one!  Loved your playing (especially the 2nd half which the tone was right up my alley).

Although I'm not a guitar player, I always enjoy a good guitar solo (and you had multiple)..

Yeah, not a total fan of the ending, but that just means start the song over and keep on funkin.. 😊

• Thanks 1

Hi Guys , I just put up a new mix for this song .

I had gotten a lot of feedback on the songs rather suspicious low end . Using my Pro Channel EQ I placed some notches in the areas that were causing problems .

I had also gotten a lot of feedback on the songs rather anticlimactic trumpet solo played by Dr Mumble's  .

Dr Mumbles  is not a bad fellow but he has no biznez trying to play a hot trumpet solo on my Funk song one hour after getting a Botox Lip injection LOL ...

I took his solo out and left some space for the outtro groove .

I'm still not happy with the ending ....yet I feel what I have up now is better than what was up before ...it is my desire to give this song a proper decent ending that matches my playing ..( my next goal for this song )

Other than that,  I also dialed back on my Mastering signal chain

The songs link is the same link as per my opening post ,

Please let me know what you think ...

thank you in advance for your time and patience ,

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

Hey Kenny, 

Got a chance to listen to the new mix.  Low end is still a little boomy (didn't catch that the first time, probably because I was on office cans), but not overpowering...  Rest of mix is better, so it's not so bad...

You DID take out Mr Mumbles...LOL  Yeah, a botox injection just might mess up errthang...LOL 😂

I think the long silence on the ending is a little jarring..  But who am I??  I still enjoyed the song nonetheless and I DO think it's improving with each pass you make... 

Yes, your solos are  tha bomb. 😎

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, arlen2133 said:

Hey Kenny, 

Got a chance to listen to the new mix.  Low end is still a little boomy (didn't catch that the first time, probably because I was on office cans), but not overpowering...  Rest of mix is better, so it's not so bad...

You DID take out Mr Mumbles...LOL  Yeah, a botox injection just might mess up errthang...LOL 😂

I think the long silence on the ending is a little jarring..  But who am I??  I still enjoyed the song nonetheless and I DO think it's improving with each pass you make... 

Yes, your solos are  tha bomb. 😎

Hi Arlen ,

A few other people thought there was something funny going on w the Bass in my other mix .

On this Mix I did take a lot of the rumble out in Cakewalk .

I think some may be getting added back to my stereo file during the  pseudo mastering stage . 

I kid you not ... I have always created characters or named parts of my solo's and  sections of my songs  ..

Dr Mumbles got sent down the road packing . 😂

Yes it is true ..my current ending BITES 😭I'm gonna have to something about that real fast and real soon ...I just can't take it no more  😖

I might just end this one with a solo ...

thanks for the listen and feedback

Kenny

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kennywtelejazz said:

Hi Arlen ,

A few other people thought there was something funny going on w the Bass in my other mix .

On this Mix I did take a lot of the rumble out in Cakewalk .

I think some may be getting added back to my stereo file during the  pseudo mastering stage . 

That's possible.  It's not abrupt, just noticed it over the coarse of listening.  

Still love the jam though.  

So you give your solos names?  I never thought of that.  

Will have to think about that. ..💡

OK , here we go again . I remixed the song  as I paid real close attention to the low end .

After saying "Dang the ending of my song really sucks ...I'm gonna do something about that " to myself .

I whipped out my guitar and did something about it .

here's the newest mix .....my opening post has same song version

I plan on getting some rest , ( been at it all night )

I will come back here and thank the people that helped convince me to keep at it ..

till then all the best ,

Kenny

You blew it out of the water as always Kenny absolutely stupendous guitar playing love the composition. After so many great ideas being strong about like candy I can understand why some folks are disappointed by the fade out at the end. But I've been known to reach into the bag and pull a fade outending here and there myself so I'm a little more accepting. Fantastic work Kenny!

On 9/19/2019 at 12:05 PM, SteveC said:

I haven't been around for a while, but what a great way to get back in the groove.     As usual, your phrasing is just... fantastic.    You've got big pockets, Ken.   😉

Hi Steve , thanks . 😊you got big pockets too.😉

On 9/20/2019 at 7:01 PM, bjornpdx said:

kenny
I just shake my head every time I hear you play and think,  man this guy is good.

Hi Bjorn ,

Wow , very nice complement you said there .

I need to get back out in the clubs again . I miss playing Live in front of people  .

If and when I do get back out there (in my current Geo location) I'm local to you ...maybe we can even  meet .

On 9/20/2019 at 8:07 PM, Max Arwood said:

Nice to check back here in songs.  Glad yours was on the top of the list. Great sounding stuff Kenny!  Ive missed listening for a while. I had fun listening to your song tonight. I’ll bet you had fun putting all this together too. 

Good stuff!!

Max Arwood

Hi Max ! 

Yes I did have a lot of fun playing over this track .

I'm glad by the third mix I got the song in the ball park .

I enjoy listening to tunes here myself . I need to make some time to comment on some of the new tunes I have yet to hear.

thanks Max .

On 9/21/2019 at 10:20 AM, Kevin Walsh said:

You blew it out of the water as always Kenny absolutely stupendous guitar playing love the composition. After so many great ideas being strong about like candy I can understand why some folks are disappointed by the fade out at the end. But I've been known to reach into the bag and pull a fade outending here and there myself so I'm a little more accepting. Fantastic work Kenny!

Hi Kevin ,

As far as my guitar playing goes ,

I sit in my Lazy boy chair and play for hours ...during that time I come up w lots of ideas , Usually I analyze what I'm playing and just practice what I think will free me up ...sort of like the big picture and It's like my little cocoon ...........

Then when it comes time to record I throw myself into it w every thing I got ... I always try to leave my mind out of the equation ...doing it this way for me is sort of like a metamorphosis ..if I want to repeat what I played I have to sit there and learn what I just played ...For some odd reason playing guitar solo's comes somewhat  easy too me ...as long as I get out of my own way ....lol

On 9/21/2019 at 3:58 PM, DeeringAmps said:

Funk Me Up!

My man, that is bad *****.

I'm gonna have to get me some Midi Guitar 2.

T

Hi Tom ,

I'm glad you liked what I did here on this tune .

Midi Guitar 2 is so much more than just a Midi Guitar app

Used stand alone it is pretty versatile as a live performance tool. I love that It hosts every VST plug and VST I synth I have .

Not only that , it is capable of creating some very complex signal chains for Midi Instruments and audio combined

(Midi Guitar is easily as versatile as Main Stage)  .

Used in side of a DAW it tracks very well as long as you keep audio buffers  to 256 and bellow .

I have actually used Midi Guitar 2 as a poor mans Melodyne ..

Check this out,  both clips are Joe Pass ...I took an MP3 placed it in SONAR ( Pre Cakewalk  ) and Placed Midi Guitar 2 on my audio track and had it trigger a VST instrument ...

first clip is Lounge Lizard

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/player.cfm?songID=13548515

second clip is Joe Pass Virtuoso All The Things You Are  ..audio on one side Strumm acoustic on the other side ..

This was done in real time as the song played and I did not do any midi or audio editing at all on this file / conversion .

I left the warts in there so a person could be able to hear for them selfs how good this plug really is ...

There is a part of me that would like to edit-it but man Midi Guitar kept up great 

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/player.cfm?songID=13311064

I used Joe Pass because he is a true musical virtuoso on the guitar ..very few people play on his level ..

I think Midi Guitar kept up pretty good with him ...

PS disregard anything that might come up as an auto play after the files I linked .....I have left that site as a ghost town 

nice talking w you

On 9/21/2019 at 4:01 PM, arlen2133 said:

Kenny, 

Now THAT'S tight!  See?  All that and now you can do your "victory lap".. 😂

I hope you got some rest man.  I'm sure you were burning the late night oil on that one.

Congrats on making a hit even better!🏆

Hi Arlen ,

You hung in for the long haul w me on this song ...I'm gonna suggest you get hazard pay for hanging in there 😄

Yeah man I got burnt out putting in the time ....the playing only took a few takes and less than a half hour for the session .

The Mixing and all that other stuff ( in my case ) is always the thing that takes me into the championship rounds ...

I got my rest and one day back in the gym after doing the updates on my tune ...

If I can make the gym tomorrow I may be strong enough to take a Victory Lap ...lol... if not I'm going back to practicing in my Lazyboy  

all the best ,

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 1

Great improvements, Kenny. That first guitar hit at 13:01 with the echo-delay on it and the next 8 bars still ***** away.  So good it brings a tear to my eye, as only the best guitar soloing does. 

Too funny. Not allowed to write 'blo*' on the forum. 

So what are people to make of: "The answer, my freind, is ****ing in the wind"?

Edited by David Baay