FORUM - fix the image upload feature

pwal³

Thanks for the tip.  I used the re-size boxes (the ones you drag. not the ones you enter numbers in) and that seems to have worked   🙂 !!!!!

BTW, the original was 445 pixels by something and the forum interface said to enter something smaller than 445. That's when I decided to try dragging the re-size boxes.

UPDATE [2019-09-14]: See discussion below about the use of handles to resize images. In short, it appears the above was either a fluke or there has been a change; it cannot be done. If that changes, I will try update this message so its immediately below the test. Apologies if I got your hopes up.  😞 

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
to add an update to the resizing-by-handles "feature"
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, HIBI said:

I did look into this forum system on Invision Community site and found Guide page "General Posting Control". There is a description about upload images at "General - Maximum Image Size". So I can't understand why this Cakewalk forum does not show images with original size even if clicking thumbnails...

same... maybe it's to keep the forum un-perfect like the old one? :D

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, abacab said:

I post images at Imgur.com and then post direct link here.

But I agree that it would be nice if you could drop screen captures at full size directly into the forum!

yeah, i suppose that my point is that the forum would handle this correctly if they configured it right, but i get the impression that, like the last place, "it is what it is" and is not on anyone's task list

I'll settle for merely having a recipe for getting my own images to work and being able to tell other users how to do it, so if I can get the resize options that @Chuck E Babymentioned to work, I will be happy. The following is something that confused me at first, then I learned it was expected behavior.

Augh! The Resize dialog will only let me make it smaller! @MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve), where did you find "the re-size boxes (the ones you drag. not the ones you enter numbers in)?"

Lanejump.jpg.1bb25c8c94560e5d942b3f2d31fd0f28.jpg

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

The Resize dialog will only let me make it smaller

I think your right @Starship Krupa.

I swear I was able to enlarge at one point. maybe its changed. Typically I use Imgur if a  full view is needed. @scook has posted some good details on using photo grabs. I followed his instructions.

@pwalpwal you got my vote (5 stars). Incase anyone is wondering how to vote, its done by rating it at the top of the OP's post like so....

804556953_forumrate.JPG.f09f82d3bbb37832d70ab06b5377c66c.JPG

• Like 2

Nope; can't seem to re-create the resizing-by-handles technique. 😞

A few days after I first used the handles to re-size the image, I tried it again and they were not there!  I haven't seen them since.  Not sure if it was a fluke, if the settings were changed after I mentioned it, if its a feature that's enabled globally or on a thread-by-thread basis, or what.

3 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

I swear I was able to enlarge at one point. maybe its changed.

Based on my experience, I think you were able. The GUI giveth and the GUI taketh away. 

Test Image:

Cakewalk - Display Controls - 001b.png

Note: Since this discussion is far below the test where the use of handles was successful, I added an update to say that evidently it can no longer be done. Didn't want to have false hopes linger if someone started reading the thread from the top or if someone stopped reading the thread.

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
to test image resizing options
  • Like 2

We each have a 48 MB attachment limit in our forum profiles. Maybe the automatic downsizing "feature" for uploaded content was implemented to conserve the user's storage space. But all it really does is turn screen shots into unreadable thumbnails. Fail.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, abacab said:

We each have a 48 MB attachment limit in our forum profiles. Maybe the automatic downsizing "feature" for uploaded content was implemented to conserve the user's storage space. But all it really does is turn screen shots into unreadable thumbnails. Fail.

this was exactly my initial thought

• Like 1