What are some of you favorite saturation plugins?

Max Arwood

Saturation plugin-

I have several I like, but always looking for something different.

I like Kramer HLS modeled after Helios console channels - I wish I could control the saturation. It sounds great, but sometimes it is too strong.

I like the LA3A VSTs - but again I wish I just had the saturation from this. Slightly controllable by varying the drive.

My USR does not work any more - when I went 64 bit it was not compatible.

I have fabfilter Saturn - Its not that good for light saturation.

I use Kramer Pie from drums mostly - very strong saturation. Slightly controllable by varying the drive.  Modeled after the  Pye Telecom Compressor 

I use PSP vintage warmer - mostly on drums. You can adjust this by drive and fat mode switch.

I also have Fairchild compressor VSTs 660 670 and some Pultec Vsts, SSL vsts - never used these much.

So.....

What are some of you favorite vintage or other Saturation VSts? What do you like to use them on?

Plugin Alliance HG-2 Black box...  Got this not too long ago and it's been a staple ever since. It's got a mojo...

Waves J37 Tape, love the sound of this (and it's not too hard to dial in)

Kramer Master Tape (fairly easy to get a good sound from)

Plugin Alliance - Character (if you don't put too much, you can get a really nice sound out of it)

Cakewalk's Tape Sim  - Been using this one for a long time.  Sometimes forget I have it on (it's on my template) and go to turn it off... Nothing doing.  Have to turn it right back on. 

On 9/9/2019 at 8:06 AM, petemus said:

True Iron from Kazrog:

https://kazrog.com/collections/audio-plugins/products/true-iron

I these days throw it almost on everything; tracks and buses.

Wanted to try this one, but I detest the pop ups on the web site.  If this guy really is selling at the rate implied, he is filthy rich.  

What is the authorization and licencing system like?  

"Someone from Knt Washington just purchased TrueIron"
Yeah, I downloaded the demo, but you do that by "purchasing" the demo for $0.00; no money changes hands.
I misspelled Kent, Knt, that's how I know that the "purchase" was my download. So they aren't getting filthy rich.
I was researching how to authorize the plug, as I too am curious how the licensing works.
But, the question remains; what is the authorization and licensing system?

Tom

2 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Wanted to try this one, but I detest the pop ups on the web site.  If this guy really is selling at the rate implied, he is filthy rich.  

What is the authorization and licencing system like?  

I see these "Someone just bought/added to cart this and that" on a few plugin sites... Might be legit, it's a global thing after all. The plugin IS good. Just take a look at the "Snake Oil" video  embedded on the True Iron page; that Wytse guy very rarely likes anything, but even he had to admit there's something there. This plugin is quite subtle, but it makes a difference. And, I don't work for Kazrog, I'm just a music hobbyist from Finland. 

The plugin itself doesn't seem to use iLok or other licensing mechanism. I recall just buying the thing, downloading it with the link and installing it. I don't remember entering any serial either.  Maybe someone with a better memory can help? 😀  I just searched through my mails and didn't even see any serials being sent to me, only receipts and order confirmations. Quite relaxed, actually... 

Another thing that's cool if you have Soundtoys is you can use their plugs for the saturation part only. Like even with Echoboy Jr. you can avoid the delay effect and just use the saturation part and it's pretty far out. 

That reminds me, my monthly PA voucher should be coming through any time now so I can use it to activate the bx_saturatorV2 I scored off kvr for like $5 or whatever it was for that $199 saturation plugin. You can clean up on kvr. Someone gave me almost all of Brainworx' distortion pedal vsts for free on there - I just need to activate them, which I'll do for free w/ my vouchers over the course of the next few months Lol 

Wow even more post!  Great I am going to look at all these Thanks! Been digging around in some old plugins and found - 

PSP MixSaturator

Warmifier (Voxengo)

VariSaturator (Voxengo)

Domimion v1.2 (Very old! sounds nice)

TL-64 Tube Leveler

TesslaPro (very old)

Tal Tube

Ruby Tube

CRTV Tape Bus (Voxengo)

Wow so many!  And all seen to be a different flavor!

Anyone else - Got some?

Max Arwood

• 2 weeks later...

My saturation secret weapon I tend to forget even exists.

It can be had for free and hides in plain sight in Meldaproduction's MEQualizer.

Dry/Wet, Output, and Saturation are the controls other than the EQ-related ones.

I suspect that they include the same algorithm with their other EQ plug-ins, but you can get MEQualizer for free in the Free Bundle.

Of course if you don't already have the Meldaproduction Free Bundle, there are many other treats within.