Chromaphonia

Leizer

This short track is made purely with one of my go-to soft synths, AAS Chromaphone 2. I like it for the analog feel and it got a lot of nice, plucky sounds.  I guess many of you have some of the AAS synths, which is your favorite?

Additional FX used, mostly Soundtoys stuff.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

Enjoyed the track. I'm on laptop here, sounded pretty good.

I use AAS synths from time to time, don't really have a favorite.  Soundtoys are some of my  favorite effect plugins though.

Soundtoys tip...

Whenever you see a Soundtoys plugin at a really great price, buy it, even if it's not something you think you'll use right away or much at all.

Why?

I'd been doing that for no other reason than they make really good FX plugins, and a deal is a deal.

The surprise came last Black Friday. I owned 6-7 of their plugins, each one bought (Dirty Deeds Done) Dirt Cheap. I was able to upgrade to the bundle (the only way to get the Effect Rack; makes Soundtoys kinda like Scheps Omni Channel) for $65!!!! A smoking deal for the $499 bundle of 21 plugins.

They develop a new plugin? I get it for free, as part of the bundle. In total, I spent less than $200. Really good value!

Edited by John Maar
  • Great Idea 1

Nicely done, Leizer. Sounds like the  synth inspired the composition, which often produces pieces that "just work" as this one does. I like it.

I zeroed in the song title because I just bought Chromaphone. I got side-tracked by the VST3 crashing my Cakewalk installation (apparently not a universal problem), but the VST2  works fine. I've been focusing on other toys I picked up around Labor Day, but will get to using Chromaphone soon.

Thanks for the added inspiration!

Edited by David Baay
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2019 at 11:02 PM, John Maar said:

Have them all. Chromaphone and Lounge Lizard get the most use. Wish I was better using Strum.

Nice background tune while posting!

Thanks for listening, John. Lounge Lizard is nice too, I agree. Strum is hard to get a realistic sound I think, but I haven't tried it so much.

On 9/9/2019 at 5:27 AM, Hidden Symmetry said:

Enjoyed the track. I'm on laptop here, sounded pretty good.

I use AAS synths from time to time, don't really have a favorite.  Soundtoys are some of my  favorite effect plugins though.

Thanks! Ok, laptop... I have a base line there I assure you... 😛

On 9/9/2019 at 6:34 AM, emeraldsoul said:

Really neat seven feel. Love it. It builds nicely.

I don't have any AAS but I do like this one.

Thanks Tom, glad you enjoyed it. I love 7/8 since Genesis days, or at least since I started listening to them a decade later. Don't use it too often, though. Maybe 7/8 will be the new 4/4?

On 9/9/2019 at 4:55 PM, daryl1968 said:

loving this Lasse - I think I need to get AAS Chromaphone

Thanks a lot Daryl! But I guess you wanted more distortion on the lower end, right? ;)

Yes you do! Maybe some of the more expensive synths like Omnisphere is all you need (I don't have it), but Chromaphone is fast, easy to tweak, niched so when you need a plucky sound, you don't have to search through 3000 sounds to find one close to what you want.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 8:40 PM, Old Joad said:

I like the sound of the distorted bottom end,  almost sounds like a fretless bass. gives the song a nice layered feel.

Thanks! It's a distorted synth sound on top of a bass sound, so it sounds like the bass is distorting. The third time it is layered with a percussive sound, and then I think it sounds more like a timpani. The world of layering is endless.

On 9/10/2019 at 4:53 AM, David Baay said:

Nicely done, Leizer. Sounds like the  synth inspired the composition, which often produces pieces that "just work" as this one does. I like it.

I zeroed in the song title because I just bought Chromaphone. I got side-tracked by the VST3 crashing my Cakewalk installation (apparently not a universal problem), but the VST2  works fine. I've been focusing on other toys I picked up around Labor Day, but will get to using Chromaphone soon.

Thanks for the added inspiration!

At least the development of the piece was lead by the synth sounds. Glad you liked it.

Good luck with your chromaphoning!