How to Pare Down Sonar Series

TedPiano

Hi All, hope very well

Re: How to Pare Down The Sonar Series

I've got the Sonar Series all the way back to Home Studio and all in between - I tried the CBB Tech who very helpfully provided the information below - but I don't know which file to delete/uninstall from - I think from what I can understand I only want to keep X3, Splat and CBB - any direction Re deleting from "Download File" or "C: Program Files" would be really appreciated - I hope the screenshot is readable

Best 

Ed

CBB Pare Down No1Capture.JPG

Is there a reason your trying to uninstall previous versions ? What you don't want is to uninstall shared folders.

There is no real reason to uninstall previous versions of Cakewalk, Sonar, exc. I have 3 versions on my PC. If I can understand your question better I might be able to help you more.

Hi John & Chuck E Baby - I'm trying to streamline my computer to increase HD space because I am getting lots of problems running CBB e.g. audio dropouts

I've (because of lack of knowledge) still got all the "Download Files" in my Download Folder as well as the programs in the Programs Folder so over time I've doubled everything up - I'm just scared of deleting "necessary files/common files 

So really it's a matter of space - I've tried increasing the Asio Latency to 256 but am getting a slapback echo on the vox track above 126 i.e. another problem

Hope that explains matters a little clearer

Thanks again for the replies

Best

Ed

I see your problem right here... You have your Sonar X3 installers next to Reaper installers. These 2 will argue all night xD.

Seriously though, I doubt the slap back is due to decreased space on your HD, but I do agree with you that if you need more room on the HD, best idea is to start removing things you wont need.

You'll want to start by saving any plug in presets, pro channel presets that you have made. Personally I would also save Project templates, Track templates and saved VST/VST-I settings as well.

When uninstalling previous versions your main concern is parts of existing installs that CbB needs to use.

I would make a list of plug ins you need (Beatscape, V-Vocal, exc) and uninstall everything. Then install Sonar Platinum's latest release. then Bandlab's latest release. You can always go back later and install plug ins from previous versions by doing custom installs using the installers you have saved in Windows Explorer.

Someone else may give you a better idea, or add on to what I proposed here. But this is how I approach it.

I've been using multiple drives for years. On a DAW it can be very useful. An example is programs go to the C:\ drive. Samples go to a HD for samples.  Downloads are on another drive. Also projects are on still another drive.  Right now I have 8 drives 6 are internal. None are SSDs.  That may change sometime soon. 

I am confused by this thread. Is there anything different than was discussed here in another thread?  If so, maybe you can hone down the questions. BTW, if it were me, I'd take Chuck E. Baby's suggestion: Reorganize the backup installers on another medium--usb thumb drive, backup HDD, writeable DVD medium, etc.

Hi Guys, thanks for the advice esp Chuck E - & Dr Steve - you are correct in that I'm basically stuck on the same issue - I did delete the # i.e. copy files from the Download Folder which freed up quite a bit of space - but the one thing I've learned is "know what the consequences will be" before the action - I've made so many rash decisions and spent days contacting Tech at CBB & Waves to try to get step by step confirmation of the right way to proceed - and they've been very good - it's just that 

E.g - when I look at the X1 2 & 3 Files - Dim Pro appears each time which seems to mean approx. 10Gb's in repetition and that not including the Download Folder - so am I correct in making that estimate - I must admit I'm a bit lost

Basically can I delete anything in the Download Folder without repercussions - and if there are problems reinstall from the Command/Products Legacy? 

One thing comes to mind - one of the guy's at Waves Tech suggested a "Remote Connection Analysis" to investigate - what do you think?

So apologies if there is some repetition but I am making forward steps but doubt my tech knowledge - so I read and re read the advice investigate and pause but thanks to you all am making some progress

So thanks again - will analyse your observations and advice 

Very best

Ed

7 hours ago, TedPiano said:

E.g - when I look at the X1 2 & 3 Files - Dim Pro appears each time which seems to mean approx. 10Gb's in repetition and that not including the Download Folder - so am I correct in making that estimate - I must admit I'm a bit lost

Thanks for the clarification. It help me to see that there's a two-part question that I think someone more expert than I am needs to answer to help you out.

Basically, (Part A of the question:) if you combine all of the installation files from the X1, X2, and X3 folders into one folder to preserve as a backup and retain only one copy of the files that are duplicates (100% duplicate), if you later need to reinstall any of those 3 (X1, X2, X3), will that present problems for the installation?

For example, the DimPro setup and expansion pack installers seem to be the same size as do the three Loops and One-Shot files, so if they are 100% identical (byte for byte) I am guessing someone with more knowledge that I will say, "No, having only one set of those in a common X1, X2, X3 installation backup folder will not cause any problems."

(Part B:) If you combine all the other installers and content (unique to each of the three--X1, X2, and X3) to a common installation backup folder, will that present ay problems for installing any of the three should you need to do that at some point? My guess is no, but before I'd combine these into a common folder, I'd want another opinion.

If it were me, I'd put the installation patches in the same folder. I thought you previously deleted the duplicate patches (e.g., the ones that have (1) and (2) in the file name when you already have the same file without the number), but I see them there in the screen shot you posted; so maybe not.

Hope this contributes to your making successful archival copies of the installation files.

Steve

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
to delete a method of comparing files which might not work on large files

Hi Steve - I really appreciate your time and advice - can't thank you enough

I did delete the duplicate patches (1) & (2) which freed up some space

So basically, am I correct that as a start before paring down, I can copy files from the Download Folder to a Folder on my external HD and then delete everything up to X3e from my C:Drive Download Folder?

Does that sound right?

Thanks again 

Very best

Ed

The way I install Cakewalk is install it via Bandlab assistant then when that is done I go to Sonar 8 on DVD and install Pantheon only. Off hand I forget if there is anything else to install from any of the X1 through X3 versions. I do not install anything else from that version Sonar 8. Then I  look up Sonar Platinum and install all the Pro Channel modules from it and then go to each install for the various PC modules I bought.  I may install all the VSTs that come with Sonar Platinum. However most of them are part of the Cakewalk install.  

Its time consuming but it does not have to be done in one go.  You can install add-ons at any time.

All my downloads I want to keep are on a download HD independent from the C:\ drive.

• Great Idea 1