project crash "fatal error"

Iron Keys

Just spent the whole day working on a project only for Cakewalk to hit me with "a fatal error has occurred", claiming a vst causing the problem telling me the program will close.

If I wait for the project to load and hit play, the project plays fine including the softsynth in question... if i hit "yes" or "no" to the prompt to save recovery file Cakewalk closes.

Why is this happening and how to get around it?! There clearly isnt a problem as the project plays and loads fine, but Cakewalk is insistent on closing.

By this point I'm ready to say bye to Sonar/Cakewalk/Bandlab/whatever name is being used for good and move to Studio One.

(NOTE): When Cakewalk loads it says there are 0 errors found with the plugins.

Screenshot (28).png

Edited by Iron Keys

Can you post a larger photo of that error ?

Something is obviously causing your project to crash, it could be something other than that plug in like a failing device, corrupt driver, exc.

Also cant really help unless I have some details like OS (including bit type-32/64 ?) and soundcard.

I'm sorry this happened to you, and we've all been there... 

But when was the last backup you made of the project?  

If you went more than an hour without backing up the project (and you made a ton of edits in that time) that's a hard lesson to learn.   If you NEVER backed it up after having "spent the whole day" on the project, well, that's a much worse, but necessary, lesson to have to learn...

4 hours ago, JonD said:

I'm sorry this happened to you, and we've all been there... 

But when was the last backup you made of the project?  

If you went more than an hour without backing up the project (and you made a ton of edits in that time) that's a hard lesson to learn.   If you NEVER backed it up after having "spent the whole day" on the project, well, that's a much worse, but necessary, lesson to have to learn...

I make fresh saves at each major step i make, new sections, events or whatnot. Unfortunately it crashes for each of them.

Fortunately with it opening in the background behing the error box, i was able to export it as a midi file and recreate the project with a different instrument.

Unfortunately, when i saved my bass sound as a preset and bank, when loadin them on the vst it doesnt change the parameters at all.

9 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

Can you post a larger photo of that error ?

Something is obviously causing your project to crash, it could be something other than that plug in like a failing device, corrupt driver, exc.

Also cant really help unless I have some details like OS (including bit type-32/64 ?) and soundcard.

Oh my bad, I'm not sure how? I uploaded the screengrab on the desktop site so im not sure why it's not full res. I'll try figure that out.

Not sure my specs exactly I'll try update that soon too.

The thing it says is causing the crash is the .dll file of cassete 808

10 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Have you tried opening the project from the "recovery file" instead of the original project file.  I've done that then exported tracks out of the troublesome project.

Yeah i tried this but this just opened a glitched looking project window. 

• 3 months later...

Sorry I'm late for the party, but what I'm going to write now may be of help to someone else with similar problems.

I am sometimes getting a fatal error for VCRuntime140.dll
Here are some ways that you could try fixing it (the fixes might sound stupid but hear me out):

1. Up the samples on the driver you are using
- I am using ASIO4ALLv2, and I would go to "Edit/Preferences/Driver Settings/ASIO Panel..."
- I am usually using 256 samples, but when I get a crash i up the buffer to 1024 samples or higher

2. Change drivers
- For example, if you are using ASIO4ALLv2, try with FL Studio ASIO (also with increased buffer size)
- "Edit/Preferences/Devices", tick off the selected input/output and tick the deselected ones

3. Open a clean project
- If maybe a certain plugin is bothering you, try opening it (the plugin bothering you) beforehand in a clean project

4. Temporarily remove the plugin that is causing conflict
- If a certain plugin doesn't even want to load, try moving its DLL to somewhere else so that CW doesn't even load it
- My example for this is VSCO2. Replaced it with Sketching orches, no problems since then

5. Opening CW as administrator
- This is usually a simple fix for VSTs that give off lots of errors

6. Differently opening projects
- I once couldn't open a project via the "CW Start Screen" pop up, so let me show you a few more ways:
          1. By pressing "File", you get a drop-down list of recent projects
          2. Going to "File/Open" and searching for the project manually
          3. Finding the project manually on the computer (never did this myself)

7. Do NOT go to try and download a DLL fix or anything like that - THOSE ARE SCAMS

If nothing of this mentioned above helps, I am truly sorry for your loss.

On 9/7/2019 at 1:49 PM, Iron Keys said:

If I wait for the project to load and hit play, the project plays fine including the softsynth in question... if i hit "yes" or "no" to the prompt to save recovery file Cakewalk closes.

So, if it plays fine, at what point does the crash occur? Sounds like you might have time immediately after loading the project to switch the audio engine off, and remove the offending plugin. If not, Start the project in Safe mode by holding Shift while you launch it, and don't let it load the plugin that's causing the problem.