Instruments sound terrible in BandLab Cakewalk compared to Cakewalk Sonar 3

tdehan

Question

Playing the same MIDI files in BandLab Cakewalk compared to playing them in Cakewalk Sonar 3 the instruments in BandLab Cakewalk sound cheezy!  The instruments sound richer, fuller, bigger and noticeably much better in Sonar.  Why is that?

5 answers to this question

It all depends on what synth you are using.  Cakewalk has no native MIDI players.  I can't remember very well but I think Sonar 3 may have come with Roland's Sound Canvas for general MIDI files.  But that version was a 32-bit DX only plugin that won't work in 64-bit Cakewalk.  With CbB I think you get TTS-1 as the default GM synth.  In theory if you load the same exact synth you were using in Sonar 3 into CbB you'll get the same sound.  But only you can tell us what synth you were using and what you are using now.  There aren't a lot of great General MIDI synths anymore but there are some choices much better than TTS-1.  Sadly Sound Canvas is a subscription only product now I think (or is crazy expensive).

19 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

I can't remember very well but I think Sonar 3 may have come with Roland's Sound Canvas for general MIDI files.  But that version was a 32-bit DX only plugin that won't work in 64-bit Cakewalk.  With CbB I think you get TTS-1 as the default GM synth. 

Thanks, tdehan, for the question; it makes me want to try to install all my versions of Cakewalk/SONAR to compare my old midi tunes before I just start updating them in the new Cakewalk.

And thanks, Matthew, for the comments on Roland's VSC.  I have been wondering where mine is (and if it would work with the new Cakewalk), because if I recall correctly, there are some sounds my older tunes used that are not in TTS-1.

Tdehan, just saw your reply to Matthew and wondered if Sonar 3 installs on Windows 10.  If so, I might give it a try (gotta find my Roland VSC* for a few old tunes I did in the '90s for a few patches!).

*Update: I just found a *.cwp file from a few years ago--evidently it was branded as "Edirol" not Roland.

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
To mention the VSC was branded as "Edirol"

On 9/7/2019 at 9:10 PM, Matthew Sorrels said:

It all depends on what synth you are using.  Cakewalk has no native MIDI players.  I can't remember very well but I think Sonar 3 may have come with Roland's Sound Canvas for general MIDI files.  But that version was a 32-bit DX only plugin that won't work in 64-bit Cakewalk.  With CbB I think you get TTS-1 as the default GM synth.  In theory if you load the same exact synth you were using in Sonar 3 into CbB you'll get the same sound.  But only you can tell us what synth you were using and what you are using now.  There aren't a lot of great General MIDI synths anymore but there are some choices much better than TTS-1.  Sadly Sound Canvas is a subscription only product now I think (or is crazy expensive).

Roland SCVA works well enough as a drop-in replacement, but it does cost $125. Here is a song that I composed using SCVA exclusively for tone generation.