Somewhere There's An Answer-Original

Johnbee58

I wasn't going to post this because it's about my faith, but I've taken notice that there are a few here who do post songs of the religious nature, so I figured why not.  I'm not trying to proselytize.  Believe in what you want to believe in (or not).  It's just that this is the faith that allows me to sleep at night when I see all the turmoil in the world at present. YMMV.

My main concern in the mix is the dynamics in the choruses (....Streets of blood......).  Do you find the drums & cymbals (or anything else) too loud at spots?  I've been chopping volume levels in these areas all over the place and they still cut too much depending on what listening environment I'm using (ie sounds fine on Walkman but too piercing on ear buds etc).  For this reason, I really felt extra compelled to use the Waves SSL Master Buss Compressor.

https://johnbowen.bandcamp.com/track/somewhere-theres-an-answer

Thanks!  Hope you enjoy it, but don't be afraid to flame if you don't.

❤️🙂John B

Edited by Johnbee58
  • Like 1

I like the tune. Nice harmonic structure, use of form, melody.
These are not so much critiques but if I were listening as if it were 'my tune',  this is what what I'd change or work on.

-The bass is too busy in the 1st first & in general for my tastes, conflicts with your voice.

Streets of blood section:
-I'd go for more of a whole feel in the bass rather than 16 notes It's too choppy with everything hitting the 16ths, needs more counterpoint.
-Lower the crashes volume or velocities & there's too many. Try more of a 1/2 time feel (or maybe for the first time, drive it more the 2nd time ) The drum track  is overplayed & needs to sit back more.
-Strings are too up front & I'd orchestrate them. Again with a more whole note pedal feel using lower strings.
And pedal bass with lower strings in that bass solo section as well.

It's a decent demo & it's a good song. Just needs some tweaks & producing to make it sound less of a midi project & more of a band sound.
Again, it's all subjective. Take it with a grain of salt (of the world 😉)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

I like the tune. Nice harmonic structure, use of form, melody.
These are not so much critiques but if I were listening as if it were 'my tune',  this is what what I'd change or work on.

-The bass is too busy in the 1st first & in general for my tastes, conflicts with your voice.

Streets of blood section:
-I'd go for more of a whole feel in the bass rather than 16 notes It's too choppy with everything hitting the 16ths, needs more counterpoint.
-Lower the crashes volume or velocities & there's too many. Try more of a 1/2 time feel (or maybe for the first time, drive it more the 2nd time ) The drum track  is overplayed & needs to sit back more.
-Strings are too up front & I'd orchestrate them. Again with a more whole note pedal feel using lower strings.
And pedal bass with lower strings in that bass solo section as well.

It's a decent demo & it's a good song. Just needs some tweaks & producing to make it sound less of a midi project & more of a band sound.
Again, it's all subjective. Take it with a grain of salt (of the world 😉)

HS-No worries.  I appreciate your feedback.🙂

amiller-Thank you so much!🙂

JB🙂

• 2 weeks later...