Zoom H1n Portable Handy Recorder Kit

Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann

26 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

is this a deal? I was looking into these

Yeah sort of.  They discontinued the no accessory version which you can pickup for about this price.  Looks like they will only have a with accessory version going forward which will list for about $120 and sometimes go on sale.  $80 is pretty reasonable.

I have a gen 1 and it has problems with the mic in for line level stuff.  Totally useless straight out of the box.  Hopefully they fixed for these.  

Also the gain adjustment knob on the top is a good idea on paper but in the field is terrible since it can be easily adjusted and slight movements can make or break the clipping range.  Gen 1 didn't have these but I have a few H6 which have 4 of those knobs and it can be a problem if the device isn't out of the way of potential adjustment.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Yeah sort of.  They discontinued the no accessory version which you can pickup for about this price.  Looks like they will only have a with accessory version going forward which will list for about $120 and sometimes go on sale.  $80 is pretty reasonable.

I have a gen 1 and it has problems with the mic in for line level stuff.  Totally useless straight out of the box.  Hopefully they fixed for these.  

Thanks. so i assume this is the discontinued gen 1 model?

5 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

Thanks. so i assume this is the discontinued gen 1 model?

No, see my new note.  They had a number of H1 models.  Look up H1 and H1n there are some differences and not sure how many versions of each they had.  

H1 ran off a single AA for many hours, this one seems to be 2Aaa driven.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 1