Speak in Tongues - remix/remaster

Paul DeVillo

Mix is great for me. Creative arrangement, it held my interest. Guitar work is a stand out.

Question, what kind of mic did the vocalist use? The pre-chorus sounds pretty good, the bigger chorus vocals come through nicely! but the verses sound a bit thin and it's not the vocals, which are quite good, I think it's the mic or the mix. Kind of muffled? Is the top-end eq'd away? Any way to push that vocal up or thicken just the top end? Might be worth a try, and again, just in the verses.

super cool tune, dude.

cheers,

-Tom

Hi All

Thank you so much for the feedback. I will explore ways to widen the key parts of the track though I think I've used every part of the stereo spectrum to fit in all the parts (perhaps the arrangement is too busy). My biggest challenge has been EQ separation of parts and how to get a loud mixdown without squishing the dynamics too much. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Back to the drawing board...

Edited by Paul DeVillo

Nice tune here Paul. Rock mixes aren't my forte'. Sounded pretty  good to me. You could make a comparison mix to those other bands you mentioned to dial it in closer to that sound using something like MCompare. Sounds pretty close already to those types of mixes.  I like the poetry. I think it's less noticed in these kinds of mixes because there's a lot of fireworks going on besides lyrics.  I look at it like I can go into a grocery store and buy healthy food and let the junk food alone 😉

That is a great riff. I hear a little James Hetfield in the vocals, in a good way. Cool song, but it sounds a little hemmed-in, if that makes any sense. Listening through headphones it sounds quite mono, was that intentional?  I think with a more expansive mix this would be a killer tune.

Wow - thank you everyone for the mix advice I was seeking!

I just completed a remix/remaster and did a lot of work that seems to have made a LOT of difference to the final product.

I don't have a ton of experience at BandCamp, so pease let me know if you can't access the song: Speak in Tongues

As suggested I made the following changes:

1. Tightened up the bass.

2. Widened the guitars

3. Brought up the verse vocals

4. EQ to lose low/mid mud - add a touch of top sparkle.

5. Less Limiting on the final master.

Edited by Paul DeVillo

I enjoyed this very much.  I'm not much into Metal but I like the way you're singing this.  Sounds a bit like you're heavy on the compression because I can hear clipping at spots.  But it might be more because I'm listening on earbuds.  I do very much like the tune and the style.  Later, I'll try listening on better playback gear.

😀John B.