Using Cakewalk with Yamaha THR10C

wmike

Question

Hi all,

I have just installed Cakewalk on my windows 10 machine. I have my acoustic plugged into my Yamaha THR10C amp.  I can record into Cakewalk OK.  However, Should I be able to hear any effects or changes I set in Cakewalk as I play the guitar?

Hope that makes sense.

New to this type of software  or recording for that matter. 🙂

Cheers,

Mike

6 answers to this question

@wmike

The answer is ... maybe.  It depends on (1) what audio you're listening to and (2) how the audio is getting into your computer.

For example, if you're listening to the audio coming out of the THR 10C twin 8 cm speakers then no you will not hear the Cakewalk effects.

To hear the effects added in Cakewalk you will need to be listening to the output of the Cakewalk program.  Pages 17 and 18  of the THR 10C user manual describes how to connect the amp to your computer so you can listen through the THR 10C.  You'll just need to substitute the words Cakewalk by Bandlab for Cubase AI.

You will have to set up Cakewalk by Bandlab to send and receive THR 10C digital audio .  You will need to download and install the Yamaha THR ASIO audio driver available from the Yamaha website

Press the letter "P" on your computer keyboard to open the preferences window and then set your audio settings to ASIO and Yamaha input and output.

Clipboard11

Clipboard12

19 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

@wmike

The answer is ... maybe.  It depends on (1) what audio you're listening to and (2) how the audio is getting into your computer.

For example, if you're listening to the audio coming out of the THR 10C twin 8 cm speakers then no you will not hear the Cakewalk effects.

To hear the effects added in Cakewalk you will need to be listening to the output of the Cakewalk program.  Pages 17 and 18  of the THR 10C user manual describes how to connect the amp to your computer so you can listen through the THR 10C.  You'll just need to substitute the words Cakewalk by Bandlab for Cubase AI.

You will have to set up Cakewalk by Bandlab to send and receive THR 10C digital audio .  You will need to download and install the Yamaha THR ASIO audio driver available from the Yamaha website

Press the letter "P" on your computer keyboard to open the preferences window and then set your audio settings to ASIO and Yamaha input and output.

Clipboard11

Clipboard12

Thanks for that Jim.

Done all that you have described. Still nothing happening. I can record form the THR but, not hear anything live as fr as Cubase efeects goes. I can apply effects after the basic track is recorded.

Cheers,

Mike

@wmike Where do you hear sound coming from? What sound is missing, guitar or Cakewalk by Bandlab audio tracks? That will help determine where the breakdown is.

In general the audio signal chain is:  guitar pickup(s) > guitar cable > Yamaha THR 10C input > Yamaha THR 10C USB OUT > USB Cable > Computer USB IN > Yamaha THR 10C ASIO Audio In Driver > Cakewalk by Bandlab selected input driver > Cakewalk by Bandlab track (track meter moves) > Cakewalk by Bandlab insert effects > other Cakewalk by Bandlab audio tracks  (playback track(s) meter(s) moves as audio from recorded guitar and other audio tracks are summed (combined) into a stereo mix) > Cakewalk by Bandlab main out (meter moves) > Cakewalk by Bandlab selected output driver > Yamaha THR 10C ASIO Audio Out Driver > Computer USB OUT > USB Cable > Yamaha THR 10C USB IN > Yamaha 10C twin speakers or headphone jack > headphones .  The audio should be a mix of guitar and Cakewalk by Bandlab playback tracks.

Additionally, your computer may internally route the guitar audio from the USB port and the Cakewalk by Bandlab audio from the program through the Windows audio mixer.  So, with Cakewalk open and the Yamaha THR 10C USB cable connected open the Windows control panel and look at the record and playback mixers to make sure Windows has not muted any mixer channels.  While in your Windows audio record and playback settings you can direct all your computer audio to go to the Yamaha THR 10C by selecting it for your audio output instead of the audio output (motherboard Realtec or Intel chip) the computer presently uses.

Finally, both the Cakewalk by Bandlab program and Windows likes for the USB cable  between the computer and THR 10C to be connected, and for the amplifier to be turned on, before you open the Cakewalk by Bandlab program.  Sometimes Windows will not use an ASIO driver until the device is connected and active.  So, assuming your computer is on and Windows loaded beforehand, your start up routine needs to be (1) plug in guitar, (2) plug in USB cable, (3) power up amplifier, (4) Open Cakewalk by Bandlab, (5) Open project, (optional 6) verify Cakewalk by Bandlab ASIO settings.

Edited by Jim Fogle

8 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

@wmike Where do you hear sound coming from? What sound is missing, guitar or Cakewalk by Bandlab audio tracks? That will help determine where the breakdown is.

In general the audio signal chain is:  guitar pickup(s) > guitar cable > Yamaha THR 10C input > Yamaha THR 10C USB OUT > USB Cable > Computer USB IN > Yamaha THR 10C ASIO Audio In Driver > Cakewalk by Bandlab selected input driver > Cakewalk by Bandlab track (track meter moves) > Cakewalk by Bandlab insert effects > other Cakewalk by Bandlab audio tracks  (playback track(s) meter(s) moves as audio from recorded guitar and other audio tracks are summed (combined) into a stereo mix) > Cakewalk by Bandlab main out (meter moves) > Cakewalk by Bandlab selected output driver > Yamaha THR 10C ASIO Audio Out Driver > Computer USB OUT > USB Cable > Yamaha THR 10C USB IN > Yamaha 10C twin speakers or headphone jack > headphones .  The audio should be a mix of guitar and Cakewalk by Bandlab playback tracks.

Additionally, your computer may internally route the guitar audio from the USB port and the Cakewalk by Bandlab audio from the program through the Windows audio mixer.  So, with Cakewalk open and the Yamaha THR 10C USB cable connected open the Windows control panel and look at the record and playback mixers to make sure Windows has not muted any mixer channels.  While in your Windows audio record and playback settings you can direct all your computer audio to go to the Yamaha THR 10C by selecting it for your audio output instead of the audio output (motherboard Realtec or Intel chip) the computer presently uses.

Finally, both the Cakewalk by Bandlab program and Windows likes for the USB cable  between the computer and THR 10C to be connected, and for the amplifier to be turned on, before you open the Cakewalk by Bandlab program.  Sometimes Windows will not use an ASIO driver until the device is connected and active.  So, assuming your computer is on and Windows loaded beforehand, your start up routine needs to be (1) plug in guitar, (2) plug in USB cable, (3) power up amplifier, (4) Open Cakewalk by Bandlab, (5) Open project, (optional 6) verify Cakewalk by Bandlab ASIO settings.

Hi Jim,

I suspect I am misunderstanding CakeWalk. Am I expecting too much. So, should I be able to hear Cakewalk effects while playing the guitar, before actually recording? I suspect not?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

I don't know.  I'd hate to mislead you with a guess.  May I suggest you start another message post and ask that question?

My workflow is different.  I use an outboard digital recorder to record my tracks or use Band-in-a-Box to create audio tracks and import my audio tracks into Cakewalk for editing, mixing and effects processing.

Getting back to your initial question and my questions, where do you hear sound coming from? What sound is missing, guitar or Cakewalk by Bandlab audio tracks?

Purely out of curiosity, I looked at the manual a few days ago.  From the block diagram, it looks like the usb out from the PC has a path to the speaker. Diagnostic question: Does the path from the aux in work as expected? If so, I would take that to mean the Cakewalk audio out from the usb doesn't have the audio you are looking for.  BTW, based on the diagram, I assume you have the guitar output potted down and are using the usb/aux output knob. Just based on that diagram, it would seem if you had both up you might hear both.

I have no experience with this unit; just trying to make some guesses based on the diagram. 

Also, I see that Jim's reply showed an example with ASIO4ALL. Are you also using ASIO4ALL or does Yamaha have its own drivers and I/O ports?  From the diagram it seems there are there are both pre- and post-THR 10C FX virtual paths through the usb connection. This suggests to me there are probably Yamaha drivers that show multiple I/Os. Also, just wondering if it has a configuration utility. (I didn't see it mentioned in the manual.)

BTW, under Features, the manual states: "playback audio files on a smartphone or other audio playback device connected to the AUX IN jack." Since the usb audio and the aux in appear to be summed, if the usb has the Cakewalk audio output, I'd think you should hear it.

It looks like a handy unit; hope you can get the output from Cakewalk (including its FX) going to the amp.

Steve

image.png.ce439c6c7d90883a8835bb01eac0b417.png

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)