United Plugins Front DAW

cclarry

2 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

Is it just me or does this thing look HORRIBLE in studio one? You can resize it but the aspect ratio is really screwy.

ewww.PNG

If that is what it looks like in S1 then, yes, it looks horrible.  

Looks beautiful in the DAW that matters though, Cakewalk.  😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ok guyz how does it sounds .... i'm actually looking fro granular synths , i got padshop pro and the expansion but i don't find it that crazy ...testing Granite and it's exellent ...so i count on you guyz for giving me feedbacks on those freebees ....

So here's the response I got from United Audio:

Hello,
this is a known issue with Studio One using FD VST3. The problem is on
Presonus side. Please use the VST2 version until Presonus solves the
problem - That works properly.

With kind regards
Jakub

Seems questionable to pass the buck like this.

Works fine in Cubase (and CbB)

I expected the online form filling to be more hassle than it was worth, but I've tried it and it works very well.  There's quite a few variations you can go through, but it does add a few dbs to its output, probably giving an impression of its power.  But if you tame the output back down, it still has some grit to add. 

Interesting to play around with, and woth the money-free hassle.

jdf

Edited by jerrydf
spelling errorrr

15 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

Seems to have something to do with the minimum width of the plugin header in Studio One

Studio One does not adhere to Windows 'rulez' when it comes to graphics. I can hardly use SO on my Surface because I have the aspect ratio set a little higher than a normal desktop and SO does not handle that well at all. Especially plugins that are resizable. On my Surface I have no problem with CbB, even with resizable plugins. So I never noticed anything was amuck until I started trying to use SO on my Surface.

IOW, it may not be the plugin. They may be doing everything correctly.

Edited by Grem
spelling

8 minutes ago, Dave Maffris said:

Thinking of getting this (heck, it's free!), but wondering--in CbB, are you using this in addition to, or instead of the Console Emulation Pro Channel?

No fixed rules - try it all ways.

Technically I'd say without.  Two emulations of the same virtual kit is not really emulating any real life (if emulations ever do), but you may hit on a magic formula between the two (and any other emulations you can throw in at the same time).

Dress those channels up like a Christmas Tree (CPU permitting) - throw in all the emulations you've got.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

So here's the response I got from United Audio:

Seems questionable to pass the buck like this.

Not when it is actually a problem with the way S1 designed the GUI handeling.   They were not passing the buck.

6 hours ago, jerrydf said:

Works fine in Cubase (and CbB)

I expected the online form filling to be more hassle than it was worth, but I've tried it and it works very well.  There's quite a few variations you can go through, but it does add a few dbs to its output, probably giving an impression of its power.  But if you tame the output back down, it still has some grit to add. 

Interesting to play around with, and woth the money-free hassle.

jdf

My initial testing suggested that it wasn't added actual db increased but only percieved output (similar to what happens with a compressor/limiter).  Of course this depends on the actual settings in the plugin you use, but what ever I was doing was not increaseing actual output by any obvious db measure...though it did sound louder (more saturation clearly added).  

Of course you can actually incause the db output by increaseing the input knob  in the plugin.  

Edited by Brian Walton

15 hours ago, Zo said:

ok guyz how does it sounds ....

It could be hard to answer... Personally  I am not very impressed so far to be honest. Trying it on 22 unprocessed tracks. Even without any touch changes can be heard and it is adding a  little clearance but I am not always picking processed one as preferred in blind test :)

Because it is little over-simplistic it is hard to test (no way to change setting for group of instances at the same time like in NLS or SlateVCC) what is painful as need to do every instance separately (even to change flavor US -> BR ).

48 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

My initial testing suggested that it wasn't added actual db increased

I would disagree, Brian, Using it on 22 tracks I needed to add gain plugin to decrease output (easier to test switching FX button and turning off all instances together with gain plug).

While in Sonar there are no issues as in S1 I dislike how it looks inside plugin container because it like something not matching plugin container.  Of course it is partially (?) issue of Sonar's plugin container itself.

I can manually resize it to have it nice but any try to resize increasing canvas instantly (Sonar, I mean CbB, is forcing to have all plugin container controls visible).

frontDAW-inVST.jpg.aeeaef51ec91b71bcea081bd53c7ead7.jpg

Plus is they implemented resizing and maybe in other DAWs it is working decently?

Anyway considering it is for free by now and changing 'colors' in different way I am glad to have it. Hoping they will improve its workflow in mass operations (especially groups are very welcome). Otherwise in my case it will never be used on many tracks at once, too many time wasted to check different settings.

But because I never mixed on real console my opinion about sound is worth like just my taste. Maybe analog mixers could say a word about its sound?

Edited by Piotr
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Piotr said:

CbB, is forcing to have all plugin container controls visible).

Yes, this is the default behavior. I have some Waves Plugins that do the same thing.  I asked about it and was told it's expected behavior.

Just now, Grem said:

Yes, this is the default behavior. I have some Waves Plugins that do the same thing.  I asked about it and was told it's expected behavior.

Yup, it is logical not to let plugin to be in state when user cannot access controls of plugin container. It could lead to cut user away of possibility to change anything at container level.

And this requires better design and implementation of plugins to take it into account. This is why I was grumbling about GUI ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Piotr said:

It could be hard to answer... Personally  I am not very impressed so far to be honest. Trying it on 22 unprocessed tracks. Even without any touch changes can be heard and it is adding a  little clearance but I am not always picking processed one as preferred in blind test :)

Because it is little over-simplistic it is hard to test (no way to change setting for group of instances at the same time like in NLS or SlateVCC) what is painful as need to do every instance separately (even to change flavor US -> BR ).

I would disagree, Brian, Using it on 22 tracks I needed to add gain plugin to decrease output (easier to test switching FX button and turning off all instances together with gain plug).

You are absolutly right.  I just added it to 12 track mix on each track as the default settings.  The max peak via the master bus changed by 0.6 db.  (turring the effects on and off through the same passages via the FX button)

I think I had a buss compressor on with my previous test.  

I would agree that the NLS or even ProChannel way of changing settings would be ideal.  But I do like what it is doing when setting it subtly.  

Edited by Brian Walton

23 hours ago, jerrydf said:

No fixed rules - try it all ways.

Technically I'd say without.  Two emulations of the same virtual kit is not really emulating any real life (if emulations ever do), but you may hit on a magic formula between the two (and any other emulations you can throw in at the same time).

Dress those channels up like a Christmas Tree (CPU permitting) - throw in all the emulations you've got.

Thanks, that's an interesting idea...will see what is what after I download this stuff..

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

Other than being free is there any other legit reason to install this?

Not really.  I presume we've all got scores of saturation, tape and console emulators. And here's another one.

But - it just may be the one you've been looking for. Or not...

• Like 2