Tracks playing back through speakers not headphones

RICHARD HUTCHINS

Hi

I open Cakewalk...no drivers. I then close it and reboot the PC, no drivers. I have the drivers on my download folder, as exe files which I run. First time I do this they can be seen under preferences in Cakewalk. I set them up and all is fine. 

Next time I open the PC...all are gone.... back to square one. 

Cakewalk sees no devices or drivers, I cant even select anything. see screenshot.

This is a custom built PC just for cakewalk. The sound seems to come from the monitor for example if I play tunes on youtube etc. I dont think realtec is available as it is normally on a laptop? The" intel display audio" is the default device under playback...is this the monitor speaker?

Hope this is clearer , I am not being deliberately obtuse I'm just struggling with stuff I dont understand.

no drivers.PNG

no drivers2.PNG

Okay, So I reinstalled the Focusrite usb drivers, the wizard worked and it restarted the PC. But this time, still nothing, no drivers to be seen in Cakewalk preferences so nothing to select.

Last time I did this the drivers were there...and Cakewalk found them.I dont think I've done anything different to install drivers but for the life of me I cannot see where they are or how to get CW to "find" them...

Thanks for the detailed information.

That's a good attitude to go with: building a DAW is something of a project, so it may take a bit of fiddling and you may need to learn a thing or two about subjects you don't really care about. 😄

The behavior you are witnessing is not normal. You have downloaded the driver package for your Focusrite interface, and by running it, you install the driver. At that point, your system, including Cakewalk, should happily recognise that you have a Focusrite audio interface installed.

This works just fine, but then you restart the computer, and the computer behaves as if the driver had never been installed. That's what the trouble is, and what we need to solve.

I can only take educated guesses as to why this happens.

My first two: your system may have anti-malware software that detects installation of drivers and removes them at next system restart, or your Windows user account may not have sufficient privileges when running the installer. These are the most common causes I've seen for this problem.

To check for the first, you can look in the system tray in the lower right corner where your clock and sound icon and all that other stuff is. There might be a "^" icon as well that you can click on to see more system tray programs. One of the icons down there may be for an anti-malware program that you can temporarily disable while you install the driver.

As for the second, you can try running the installer with elevated Administrator privileges. To do this, right click on the .EXE file in your download folder and select Properties. In the resulting page, you may see a notice down at the bottom that says "Security: This file came from another computer...." etc. with a checkbox marked Unblock. If so, check that box to unblock it and then click OK.

Then right-click on the .EXE again and select Run as Administrator.

Try these and see if they help. You don't have to try them in the order I suggest. If you don't find an anti-malware program, go ahead and try the elevated privilege thing anyway.

Hi,

First, thanks for a comprehensive reply. I only just got this PC so I havent loaded anything else, I want to keep it dedicated to recording. So no malware programs. ( Unless Windows Defender counts?)

I just reinstalled the drivers and tried again. Same result, nowhere to be seen. I find it easier to attach screenshots rather than explain,  they show the status of my administrator privileges, I cant see anything going on here?  

focusrite properties edit advanced security settings.PNG

focusrite properties edit.PNG

focusrite properties.PNG

Its a long shot, but have you tried Windows 10's Sound Troubleshooter?  It might not show your audio device without the drivers installed, though; not sure. 

Also, does the sound card have a configuration utility?  If so, maybe there's something there which might help point to a solution.

image.png.94942d907231a0429f1fccacc7551f1a.png

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)

Hi,

Okay, some progress; I tried changing the USB connection to a different one. Up came the drivers correctly found and assigned by Cakewalk! Now then, this is a new PC so I doubt its a duff connection on the tower, perhaps plug and play just woke up? ( Thats my technical description)

So if its not broken lets not fix it, seems like this worked. I closed it all down and opened it all up and this time the drivers were still there.

I do get one error message saying that a silent bus is detected ( see screenshot) but I dont know what that means!Nor how to correct it. But I think my days of crossing fingers are numbered and I need to get these things things fixed, or they'll come back to bite me...

Silent Busus Detected.PNG

1 hour ago, RICHARD HUTCHINS said:

I'll try both of these. Without wanting to be defeatist, I've used Windows for years and have never seen any Troubleshooter sort anything out! But you never know...if either works I'll post. I also e mailed Focusrite so lets see..

From my experience over the past several months, the Win 10 Sound Troubleshooter has worked to solve problems, even when it claims in didn't detect the problem. In fact, by just running it, I had what sounded like two audio channels competing for control of the audio "fix itself." I suspect that by running the troubleshooter's different tests, some internal virtual circuit got kicked. It was fairly consistent and I reported it (with screenshots) to Microsoft and eventually it stopped happening--probably from sheer coincidence. Anyhow, it was so easy to run (thanks to the Sound icon), even though its a longshot, I now add it to my audio debugging process.

Also, when  somehow Windows reconfigures my audio devices because that's what Windows does, if I select the device >I< want to use and use the troubleshooter, sometimes it somehow gives me back my device.  Again, simple to set in motion and if it fixes it, I am happy!!! Sometimes, Windows says it needs to reboot in order to give me back the device I wanted to use--so I assume in powering down and restarting, Windows is mysteriously doing some reconfiguration/recordkeeping.

Finally, I like saving the complete device report the troubleshooter generates, so if if I ever have to TRY to fix stuff manually, I can compare the states of the devices as reported.

And congratulations on getting the interface working; thanks for sharing the results. 

Steve

PS: In my experience, the silent bus message usually means that the bus is not pointed to the current/proper/working audio output device.  Usually, I have gotten a choice of what driver/audio channel to change it to and usually clicking OK sets it to the audio device of my preference.

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
fixed typos; to add a PS

Thanks, I'll remember comments on troubleshooter working behind the scenes. As I move forward I keep hitting issues, but each time it happens I learn how to move , ( obviously after asking here!) Basic question but Whats a Bus by the way? And how is it re pointed? 

I have a new query regarding VST plugins addictive drums but I think it best to post under a separate topic. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/5/2019 at 1:29 AM, RICHARD HUTCHINS said:

Hi

Finally got Cakewalk onto my new PC. Hooray!

However....I am using a focusrite scarlet 214 as output. I can record through this fine but when I play back the track it comes through the PC speakers not my headphones which are as usual plugged in to the Focusrite socket. This was how I always did it and had no problems using the headphones, but of course, moving everything to a new PC means starting again with settings. Clues or hints anyone?

Edit>preferences>driver settings> click Asio panel>try checking and unchecking alternative ports under *Output ports*. Mine worked with Realtek output... You try one by one and click on ok and play the audio to check whether the settings works for you.

• 5 months later...

Audio Track doesn’t  automatically play through speakers or  headphones.

have a similar problem but slightly different.  I bought a windows 10 laptop and after installing  Cakewalk, I noticed that the speakers and headphone does not share the audio output, meaning that in order to hear an audio track through headphones or speakers, you have to manually switch the outputs from headphone to speakers in the audio track. Changing from MME to WASAPI doesn’t make a difference, however, I’ve used a Program called Powertracks Pro audio with no issues. I like the editing features in Cakewalk better. Does anyone know of a solution?