Demo mode. Why?

azslow3

Question

1 hour ago, azslow3 said:

Can someone explain me why "free" DAW can revert itself to Demo Mode?

And even in case that is a secret, is there any hint inside the program about WHEN that is going to happened next time?

Yeah... i just ran into this as well.

The machine at rehearsal studio which has no internet. Hasn't been touched since the week before Christmas.

On boot up I was shocked to see it suddenly in demo mode and no way to connect to web to attempt correction.

what's going on?

Especially as it's free. I can understand an original authorization, but why ever after?

Some machines don't have easy web access even at this point in time (technology). This makes it a much more difficult update regime to maintain.

Hey all, just wanted to get some additional details. You guys who were recently experiencing a demo mode issue, have you performed any updates since your original install? Back when we kicked off, there was an auth check built in with a "membership end date" just like what you used to see in SONAR's Help > About SONAR menu (this version being in Help > About Cakewalk). That initial check was modified in later updates, where you'll now see "Free- Activated by BandLab Assistant". The program is free, but it's definitely safe to say that you should want to check for updates at least every few months, if not more often. There's been a ton of enhancements to help make Cakewalk by BandLab even better, and though I know some users still want to keep their machine offline, it really is beneficial to keep up to date when you can. It's been less than a year since the release of CbB, and while the core program has been around for awhile, BandLab Assistant was pretty much built from the ground up, and has been updated and refined quite a bit! No, that auth check is not something that will be necessary every time we release an update, but there may be another needed at some point. From a personal perspective, it's a much less intrusive way to keep track of some very basic metrics, while in the process making sure we're providing the best product we can. I'd say that's worth the price you're paying for CbB!

• Thanks 1

The program has a lease that we set to about 6 months. It needs to be periodically updated to keep running. As mike mentioned, we release updates frequently so if you get updates you will normally never see this prompt. Also if you do run into it, simply logging out and back into BandLab assistant will give you a new lease.
One important reason for a handshake with our servers is to prevent people from putting the app on mirrors where someone can get a virus injected easily. Its a small inconvenience to put up with considering that the app is completely free now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the clarification. Have I understood that right that if I start BandLab Assistant and it goes online, Cakewalk will not revert to the demo mode during next month? I mean is that "6 months" are counted from the last contact with the service or there are some "fixed dates"?

In case the later is the case, please display that magic date somewhere. So if I want the computer offline let say tomorrow, I can be sure it will not revert to the demo. With pushed Windows updates I prefer to switch off the internet and check that everything I need is working before doing something important next day. And I guess I am not alone.

PS. @Mike. Some of my servers have uptime more then a year, I also have servers running OS more then 8 years without updates.  Old CCC had an option to revert. I have not found such in the Bandlab Assistant. I keep up to date my home computer and online computer games on it, but I am not so quick with at least partially serious staff.

@Noel. I am a bit confused by your second argument... If I have installed Cakewalk using Assistant and it has authorized what I have installed, how can I get a virus from some mirror? If someone manage to initially authorize without Bandlab service and you catch him half a year later, I think it is "too late" for virus injection prevention.

• Confused 1

Hey azslow- I don't think there's an argument on Noel's part. Some users have asked why bother authing a free product. If we didn't have that auth, CbB would likely be posted on other sites that are much more susceptible to any of the bad things. To reduce the chance of CbB being illegally distributed, the program auths via BandLab Assistant, there are checks after a period of time, etc. If you saw a demo mode note and updated, you'd likely be set for another six months. That said, that number is not set in stone. As mentioned earlier, we're not even a year into Cakewalk by BandLab, and the way we deliver the product is not the same as Command Center because now Cakewalk is a program within the BandLab ecosystem. BandLab Assistant definitely works a bit differently than c3, but that is ever-changing as well. I personally can't tell you exactly how auth may work in 6 months or a year from now. What I do know, is that we're offering Cakewalk by BandLab for free, and it requires a very small amount of things to keep it running. Still sounds better to hop online every few months rather than paying hundreds of dollars each year!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

The program has a lease that we set to about 6 months. It needs to be periodically updated to keep running. As mike mentioned, we release updates frequently so if you get updates you will normally never see this prompt. Also if you do run into it, simply logging out and back into BandLab assistant will give you a new lease.
One important reason for a handshake with our servers is to prevent people from putting the app on mirrors where someone can get a virus injected easily. Its a small inconvenience to put up with considering that the app is completely free now. 

Thanks for explaing Noel.

I understand and it makes good sense, but I have a situation where my studio is off grid. There is no internet available there.

This makes it a bit of a chore. I don't recall as it wasn't an issue for me before, but I remember people inquiring about offline activation.

Is such a thing available?

On 1/14/2019 at 4:25 PM, Keni said:

How can I resolve this on a machine that no longer has web access?

Pain to move it elsewhere for this. It was working fine. What caused it to revert to demo mode?

just move it to have web access,

it's just a computer.

no big deal just do it.

11 minutes ago, batsbrew said:

just move it to have web access,

it's just a computer.

no big deal just do it.

I guess for many it's that simple. Right now I have no car so I can't.

If it was a bug and only once I could arrange a ride, but it's gonna be constant!

...and moving the machine with it's large monitor and the studiolive console that is it's audio interface is a pain!

Luckily, I still have SPlat installed there and it doesn't appear to suffer this "feature"

20 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

It is not available and would require a bunch of work to do since the mechanics are quite different from C3. 

Thanks for the notice Noel...

I guess that machine will be running SPlat for a while. I have a rehearsal there on Thursday and will see if I can fit the machine into the car (shared ride). I'm guessing I can install without the audio interface and fix that when returned to studio, yes? That's a harder part if I must move the interface as it remains setup for our rehearsals...

I'm also going to see if someone can get a hotspot running there which might make this painless...

3 hours ago, nzpaul said:

Is it not possible for you to tether your PC to your phone for a minute or two to get it on the internet whilst it re-registers it?

Thanks nzpaul...

I'm hoping so. I mentioned wuch (hotspot) in my previous message. I'll see what happens Thursday night when I'm next there.

11 hours ago, Mike Balzarini said:

Hey azslow- I don't think there's an argument on Noel's part. Some users have asked why bother authing a free product. If we didn't have that auth, CbB would likely be posted on other sites that are much more susceptible to any of the bad things. To reduce the chance of CbB being illegally distributed, the program auths via BandLab Assistant...

Authorizing  with BandLab assistant was not my question. Your product, your rules. I just want to understand these rules.

... there are checks after a period of time, etc. ...

So:

• "a period of time" means 6 months.
  • If the period is over, Cakewalk instantly reverts into demo without a warning
  • these dates are no shown

Am I right so far?

• just starting Assistant is not sufficient to reset the period

I am almost sure I was running Assistant during last 6 months, but without updating anything. So what exactly is required to avoid "demo" next day?

• Confused 1

"demo mode" has at least two benefits for bandlab:

1. they know who's using their software
2. they have a limited number of versions to support

but it could be done in a more user-friendly way (e.g., show the expiry/demo-mode date so users who are normally off-line can plan to do the update rather than being surprised by the "demo mode")