Demo mode. Why?

azslow3

Question

3 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

"demo mode" has at least two benefits for bandlab:

1. they know who's using their software
2. they have a limited number of versions to support

but it could be done in a more user-friendly way (e.g., show the expiry/demo-mode date so users who are normally off-line can plan to do the update rather than being surprised by the "demo mode")

This would help...

My rhearsal just got cancelled so it will be another week before I can address this...

On 1/17/2019 at 3:00 AM, azslow3 said:

Authorizing  with BandLab assistant was not my question. Your product, your rules. I just want to understand these rules.

So:

• "a period of time" means 6 months.
  • If the period is over, Cakewalk instantly reverts into demo without a warning
  • these dates are no shown

Am I right so far?

• just starting Assistant is not sufficient to reset the period

I am almost sure I was running Assistant during last 6 months, but without updating anything. So what exactly is required to avoid "demo" next day?

AZ, to give you answers point to point:

"a period of time" means 6 months.

"A period of time", currently (at the time of writing), means 6 months. That could mean something completely different at any point though. You may want to consider a certain level of flexibility as the program and subsequent auth process is still relatively new to BandLab. Refinements should be expected with any program that strives to get better, where both the user and the developers can accurately track that growth.

If the period is over, Cakewalk instantly reverts into demo without a warning

Yes, if that period expires, Cakewalk will prompt for activation. Activating the program takes seconds in most cases.

these dates are no shown

Much like with previous versions of SONAR, there was a membership end date listed in our initial launch, which was six months from the date of install. This was removed, as some users  misconstrued "membership end date" as something that meant we would eventually require a payment. This is not a "membership" product like SONAR. An auth check doesn't indicate how long until you need to pay, it verifies that a user has the proper content from the proper location, and a handshake has been established between the BandLab Assistant app and the program itself. With development cycles, etc, an exact date shouldn't be calculated, as the focus should be on the betterment of the product. 

just starting Assistant is not sufficient to reset the period

In nearly all cases, you can remove an activation notice by simply exiting the program, logging into BandLab Assistant, then relaunching Cakewalk by BandLab. There may be a case where an update applies to both products, at which point we recommend updating then launching in the same order as previously mentioned. 

I hope that helps to clarify. We'll definitely listen to the feedback about how to get a notification out there, too, for those users who may need it.

Just as a heads up, the terminology should have changed from demo mode to activation, so if you're still seeing something that says demo mode, chances are you were using a pretty early version of CbB!

• Like 2

I just started having problems with Cakewalk going into demo mode too. It was working fine a couple of hours ago.

Im connected to the internet. I tried logging out and back into bandlab assist and also tried reinstalling assist.

Cakewalk still tells me it's in demo mode. I'm up to date using version 2019.01 build 27

Is anyone else having problems with this?

Edited by Funk

Lets play with the thought of CbB having a function that gives a notification (non stoppable) when it's time to update/authorize. You attach a usb memorystick and CbB writes some ID code thats specific for that instance. It notifies when it's done and you take it to a pc that have internet  access. It also have a little Bandlab assistant on it that connects to your server and downloads a new authorisation code and update code (if there is one). Then take it back and plug it in and start authorisation and update procedure. To use usb would be an extra option for those needing it.

To connect a win10 to internet could mean hours of troubleshooting because it forces your pc to update and it probably would do so before you're able to connect to Bandlab. With usb method you avoid that.

It would also tell you on Bandlab roughly how many of the users have CbB online. If i where at the company, i would like to know that for future development.

19 hours ago, Kurre said:

To connect a win10 to internet could mean hours of troubleshooting because it forces your pc to update and it probably would do so before you're able to connect to Bandlab. With usb method you avoid that.

you can disable the auto-updating, give it a google ;)