Help with MIDI note editing.

Devyn Horne

Question

So, after recording a MIDI track, I did end up missing a couple notes and decided to go edit the notes in piano roll, rather than re-record that section. However, I seem to be having all sorts of problems simple adding notes to an input(I have been programmed into simplicity with how FL Studios edits midi, so I'm coming off just click to add); am I missing something? I sometimes have to double click to even add a note, honestly.

8 answers to this question

11 hours ago, Devyn Horne said:

. I sometimes have to double click to even add a note, honestly.

With the smart tool enabled (Sounds like you already have it enabled) If you hold the mouse button down then move the mouse slightly, the note will be placed

If you hold the mouse button down and then move the mouse more before releasing you can set the duration.  Moving to the right sets to duration. Moving to the left sets the duration by setting the start of the note but locks the end of the note.

Convoluted, yes, but you do get used to this.

Personally, I would like a single click to just place a note - to do that, select the draw tool - but you can't set the duration.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Promidi said:

With the smart tool enabled (Sounds like you already have it enabled) If you hold the mouse button down then move the mouse slightly, the note will be placed

If you hold the mouse button down and then move the mouse more before releasing you can set the duration.  Moving to the right sets to duration. Moving to the left sets the duration by setting the start of the note but locks the end of the note.

Convoluted, yes, but you do get used to this.

Personally, I would like a single click to just place a note - to do that, select the draw tool - but you can't set the duration.

Yeah, it does sound a bit convoluted. However, it is seriously the only complaint I have on Cakewalke, right now. Do you know if it lets you isntall third party midi editors?

35 minutes ago, Devyn Horne said:

Do you know if it lets you isntall third party midi editors?

Can you clarify? You may certainly install them on your system and then import the resulting MIDI files into Cakewalk. As far as integrating them into Cakewalk itself, there may be  ways to do it with ReWire or with a VST that allows MIDI editing that I'm not aware of.

1 minute ago, Starship Krupa said:

Can you clarify? You may certainly install them on your system and then import the resulting MIDI files into Cakewalk. As far as integrating them into Cakewalk itself, there may be  ways to do it with ReWire or with a VST that allows MIDI editing that I'm not aware of.

ReWire?

23 hours ago, Devyn Horne said:

So, after recording a MIDI track, I did end up missing a couple notes and decided to go edit the notes in piano roll, rather than re-record that section. 

Another option for entering and editing midi data including notes is the Events List.  The problem with that is the tendency to micro-manage data down to the level of ticks, but it is an option. (That is, its not a tool for perfectionists because of the minute level of editing possible.)

For more information, see http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Views.27.html

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
to add a link to the online documentation in case its helpful

Note duration may be set using the the note duration buttons at the top of the PRV or the menu in the tools HUD or module. The last touched option overrides these methods of selecting note duration. There are predefined keyboard shortcuts for some note duration settings. For more info see http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Tools.20.html

3 hours ago, MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve) said:

Another option for entering and editing midi data including notes is the Events List.  The problem with that is the tendency to micro-manage data down to the level of ticks, but it is an option. (That is, its not a tool for perfectionists because of the minute level of editing possible.)

That definitely sounds a bit more manageable, to me. Though, I'm not very picky, unless I can get a quicker way done, lol. Honestly, I just feel like it's something that should be simplified, like in BandLab's web version of the software. It's super easy to edit midi in that stage.

• Great Idea 1