Solo Exclusive

Soundwise

CbB needs a refined Solo exclusive function. AB-ing tracks, busses settings is a common practice. Currently Solo Exclusive function in CbB lets users to switch between a selected track and a group of other tracks. There is no way to solo or mute any track/buss exclusively and then choose another track/buss and solo or mute it exclusively instead of the preciously selected track or buss. 

I hope it won't take too much time or effort to implement this functionality into our beloved CbB.

Sorry, 

I attempted to  edit but I was unable to.

I meant to respond with

The Solo button is displayed as Playback.17.2.png to indicate that Solo Override is enabled. Solo Override prevents the track or bus from being muted when other tracks or buses are soloed.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Soundwise said:

CbB needs a refined Solo exclusive function. AB-ing tracks, busses settings is a common practice. Currently Solo Exclusive function in CbB lets users to switch between a selected track and a group of other tracks. There is no way to solo or mute any track/buss exclusively and then choose another track/buss and solo or mute it exclusively instead of the preciously selected track or buss. 

I hope it won't take too much time or effort to implement this functionality into our beloved CbB.

I assume that you are finding some workflow missing from our Exclusive solo functionality (Mix module in control bar). Can you please explain the steps you are taking and whats not working for you?

I must admit,  I wasn't clear about it.  Wrote the original post in a hurry and forgot about the exciting functionality.

16 hours ago, jesse g said:

To enable/disable Solo Override

The Solo button is displayed as Playback.17.2.png to indicate that Solo Override is enabled. Solo Override prevents the track or bus from being muted when other tracks or buses are soloed. 

Thanks Jesse!

4 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I assume that you are finding some workflow missing from our Exclusive solo functionality (Mix module in control bar). Can you please explain the steps you are taking and whats not working for you?

Thank you for your question!

Well, currently it is possible to quickly switch between tracks or buses in the Solo Exclusive mode.  I  need to be able to click solo button holding some modifier keys, like Ctrl+Alt.  And the most important part is to be able to Solo Exclusively any set of tracks, not organized in folders or grouped. 

The logic behind it would be:

1. Enable SE mode but pressing the corresponding button on the Control Pane

2. Enable SE mode for the tracks that need to stay soloed.

3. Select the first track for the AB-ing and use modifier key to add other tracks to the temporary SE group.

4. To reset the selection (to dismiss the temporary group) choose any tracks without holding the key modifier and start adding desired tracks to it.

The same or similar  behaviour for the Mute Exclusive functionality would be great too!

When and why would this be useful:

1. You have double tracked parts you need to audition in pairs (trios, quartets) and compare against other parts also double- or multi-tracked.

2. You are using sets of loops in your arrangement and need figure which set works best for your forthcoming masterpiece.

a) You have layered sounds and need to find the perfect combo (using Solo Exclusive quick grouping) or

b) You need to quickly exclude (mute) one or more layers to see if it benefits your track.

Layers could be back vocals, synth pads, orchestral instruments, drum samples, guitar multi-tracking using different pickups, amps   or instruments, etc.

In your example what you are doing is soloing different groups of tracks. Why not do this using the standard grouping feature?

• Select the tracks you want 
  • Right click on the solo button and set to Group A
  • Select the second set of tracks or buses and assign to Group B
  • Now you can easily toggle the solo groups created above independently 

In fact grouping this way is also compatible with the exclusive solo state. If exclusive solo is on and you click on a different solo group it will toggle off the prior group. 

6 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

In your example what you are doing is soloing different groups of tracks. Why not do this using the standard grouping feature?

• Select the tracks you want 

In fact grouping this way is also compatible with the exclusive solo state. If exclusive solo is on and you click on a different solo group it will toggle off the prior group. 

I thinks I'm spoiled with the REAPER's way of doing this.   ^_^ They've also implemented similar logic to the Mute buttons.

Grouping controls is great for something that's just set and leave.  It would be even better to use hotkeys and modifier key(s) plus mouse click for that.

So adding  adding these functions to the keyboard shortcuts list and applying the similar logic to the Mute buttons is my FR.

Could work like this:

• Hold [Ctrl + Shift + A] and click select tracks to add them to A group,
  • Hold [Ctrl + Shift + B]  and click select tracks to add them to B group, etc
  • Clicking on a control assigned to A group with the [Ctrl + Shift + B]   combination automatically reassigns that control to B group, etc. 

Also there is a Solo selected tracks command WITH an assignable hotkey in the Track View, but it does not work in the Console View.

I understand the request. However I'm not seeing why this is that much more efficient than setting up a traditional group - besides the fact that you may want to delete the group after you are done with this. It seems like that functionality is a substitute for the more general grouping we have.

>>also there is a Solo selected tracks command WITH an assignable hotkey in the Track View, but it does not work in the Console View.

We can look into that.

• Thanks 1

On 12/22/2018 at 4:44 AM, jesse g said:

Thanks Jesse, you taught me something else of this great DAW!

8 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Why not do this using the standard grouping feature?

• Select the tracks you wan

Thank you Noel, again I have learned a very useful thing!

• Like 1