Constant crashes during playback

dscoyne

I finally just started using CbB; had stayed with SPlat.  I thought that with a new program install that it might get rid of a problem I have been suffering with.   But nooooooo.

I have been trying to add a vocal to a song after producing the instrumental backing.  But it crashes in the middle of playback with an "unhandled exception" error.  This usually happens on the second playback.  And I find it also happens on previous songs which were okay when originally produced.

The error message states: "Module:  c\program files\cakewalk\vstplugins\Dimension Pro\Dimension Pro x64.dll."  That makes me wonder if the problem is with DM Pro rather than Cakewalk.  However, I noticed at least one time it referred to TTS-1.

I wonder if this could be caused by a computer cleanup program I subscribed to called "System Mechanic."  Right after I purchased it, I saw it automatically cleaning the computer, including the registry.  I never had this problem with Sonar before that, but I can't directly relate it.

What should I do to be able to use either Sonar or Cakewalk?  Right now, both are useless.  Maybe at least a new installation of DM Pro?  Any help much appreciated.

Does System Mechanic have a feature that allows you to restore your registry to what it was before it did its cleaning thing? Many such utilities do.

You might try that if it's available to you.

Cakewalk does indeed use the registry to keep track of plug-in information. A re-install of Dim Pro wouldn't hurt anything, and it might cure the issue.

Yes, the issue is Dim Pro crashing CbB, but why, when it works fine on so many other systems? What happens if you mute Dim Pro? Just as a test.

And as always, when asking for help with tech issues, we'd love it if you could post your system specs in your sig, or at least in your post. Windows version, amount of RAM, what kind of processor, disk, audio interface, etc. Use my sig as an example of the pertinent info.

Cakewalk does nothing but keep Plug-In paths in the registry.  DirectX plug-ins (like Sonitus), are registered in the registry, but if that was a problem theaffected plugins simply wouldn't show up in the DAW .

If System Mechanic had removed the plugin paths from the Registry, then they simply wouldn't be showing up in the DAW 😛

@ OP:  What Audio Interface, Sound Card, and/or Drivers for that stuff are you using, and what Audio API do you have selected in CbB settings? 

What type of drive is your project audio on?  PC Specs (CPU, RAM, Disks)?

Edited by SomeGuy

What version of Windows are you on? 

Is Windows maintenance up to date?

Dim Pro hasn't been updated in a long while, but there was an update.  What version of Dim Pro is installed on your system?

Are you using any 32-bit plugins in your project(s) that are crashing?  If so, one or more of these could be causing problems, as they must use bridging software to be able to run in a 64-bit environment, and the bridging process is not a guarantee that a given 32-bit plugin will run properly when bridged.  Cakewalk/Sonar include a bridging route called Bit Bridge, and there is also a commercially available product called J-Bridge, which costs about $20.  Some folks find success using J-Bridge, when they have had prior crashes using the included Bit Bridge.

Bob Bone