IDF's

LNovik@aol.com

Question

Hi,

I recently started a song on Cakewalk by Bandlab. I couldn’t find any of the instrument definitions for my hardware synths. I did somewhat recently switch to Bandlab, so perhaps that could be a problem. I'm also now running Bandlab on an SSD, so perhaps I’m not  seeing the definitions that I had previously had. However, when I try to import them under the Preferences\MIDI tab, I do instruct it to look at both of my drives. I DO then find some definitions, but not the Korg Kronos.

Thus, does anyone know how I can find Korg Kronos IDF’s within Cakewalk, and, if not, where can I find them? I even went to KorgUSA, but could not find them, though I guess I could spend even more time looking.

Thanks.

LNovik

4 answers to this question

All IDF that you install are imported into a file called Master.ins. If you had all your synths IDF in Sonar, the easiest way would be searching for that file in your previous Sonar instalation and just copy it instead of the default CbB Master.ins. The file format is identical, just copy your old file to the right CbB directory and it will work.

Master.ins is a text file, so you can open it with any text editor and check whether you found the right file and your synths IDF are there. In older Windows OS, Master.ins used to be in the same directory than Sonar.exe. This is more confusing (to me, at least) in newer OS, so what I use to do when migrating my Master.ins file (something I don't do often) is a drive search until I find the right place to copy it. Maybe somebody can tell us the right path, but if not, a bit of drive searching will do.

There are a couple of copies of Master.ins in a CbB/SONAR install but the version used by the program is in the same folder as Aud.ini, Cakewalk.ini and TTSSEQ.ini (often referred to as the user directory). There is a separate user directory for CbB and each version of SONAR in %appdata%\Cakewalk.

Thanks for these replies. They were helpful. The first biggest help was realizing that .ins files are located under Master.ini. Using this info, I was able to at least find most of these .ins files. I at least now know--or have a better idea--how to find them.

I played around with Skook's reply for awhile, but could not find those other files. I did search for them in my drives, but, as I said, I couldn't find them. I stopped looking when I was able to find the info I needed.

As far as Canopus's reply, I am not computer literate enough to find this utility; ie, I searched for it without success.  However, now as I review  your note, i see you gave me the very link I had needed! Who knew!? Thanks. I'll save this info.

LNovik