License To Criticize

noynekker

Very nice indeed!!  This has a great pop sound and the vocals are great (not brash at all)-- although for my ancient ears I could use them a little louder.  The instrumentation sounds good to me, as does the mix.  "Singing voice reminded me of the excellent late Freddy"  -- I think that the reports of my demise are somewhat premature.  Oh-- wait --- Kakku must have meant the other Freddy --- you know Freddy Hg (periodic table).  Sorry about that.

49 minutes ago, freddy j said:

.  "Singing voice reminded me of the excellent late Freddy"  -- I think that the reports of my demise are somewhat premature.  Oh-- wait --- Kakku must have meant the other Freddy --- you know Freddy Hg (periodic table).  Sorry about that.

Once again your deductive detective skills rival the skills of Sherlock's

It's a very fun tune you have here, with some excellent guitarsmithery and a great vocal. For whatever reason I got a Johnny Clegg vibe!

I get what you are saying about the 3k range, it's not out of control but maybe dipping the snare and ride might help? The mix was quite good otherwise.

Well done!

-Tom

14 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

It's a very fun tune you have here, with some excellent guitarsmithery and a great vocal. For whatever reason I got a Johnny Clegg vibe!

I get what you are saying about the 3k range, it's not out of control but maybe dipping the snare and ride might help? The mix was quite good otherwise.

Well done!

-Tom

Hello Tom, thanks for having a listen.

Don’t know of Johnny Clegg, but I’ll be sure to check him out.

Yes, I recently found out at a “proper” studio that my mixes from the last few years have a problem around 3 to 5k . . . amazing and scary what a tuned environment will reveal.

Thanks again for your positive comments.

On 9/3/2019 at 4:54 AM, Old Joad said:

good song, very cool guitar nice job..

BTW Great title for a song it really catches the eye..

Thanks Old Joad for replying and listening . . . yes, I don't really know where the song title came from, but it became a "topic sentence" then a song + lyrics formed from that . . . I guess that's a good first step, a catchy title.

10 hours ago, daryl1968 said:

This is great Nonekker.  Nice groove and performances. The mix seems a little 'squeezed' - maybe over compressed?

Hey daryl1968 . . . I'm glad for your listening in, and comments . . . I think you've been around this Cakewalk forum a very long time, pickles and monkeys and all that.

I've had a good close listen to your Songs threads here, and really appreciate what you do.

Your comments "'squeezed' - maybe over compressed?"  YES . . . I sooo wish my mixes sounded so open and widely spaced as yours . . . okay, perhaps different genres, but you really do get a very spacious feel to your mixes. My guitar settings as recorded in my mix are heavily compressed, the vocals have modest compression, and my mastering overall mix has only a hint of Ozone Maximizer Limiter on it . . . I tend to prefer a thicker sound, but still I wish I could open it up and separate the instruments more like you're getting.

Anyways, thanks again for chiming in . . .  my compliments and inspiration to your recording science !

10 hours ago, Grem said:

Nice song. Good guitar sound and playing. Synths sound good to me. Really catchy pop tune.

I like it. DId you say you were driving slow because you like to read the signs?!!! LOL : )

Hi Grem  . . . thanks for your positive response . . . actually, the lyric goes:  ". . . and I'm turning very suddenly, I don't like to read the signs"

. . . but TBH your LOL version "driving slow because you like to read the signs" works well too !

14 hours ago, noynekker said:

. . . but TBH your LOL version "driving slow because you like to read the signs" works well too !

Use it if you like!! It's yours. : )

Long time ago I became aware of the fact that when I let people hear my song, they often misunderstood what I was really saying... and their interpretation of what they heard always surprised me!!

Edited by Grem
Clarity