Is there a Firewire to HDMI adapter I can use with my Cakewalk Sonar Power Studio-66 Firewire

SND

Question

image.png.1e3d2fdd4aaf96f747f543f109a2c5bf.png

I would like to use this older hardware again, but my laptop doesnt have a firewire port. It only has USB and HDMI ports. Is there a way to convert from Firewire to either USB or HDMI? and will it work? Thanks

3 answers to this question

Sorry, nothing like that exists I'm afraid. 

I've seen USB to Firewire adapter plugs on Amazon, but literally all they do is connect the USB pins to Firewire ones. 

Firewire & USB are fundamentally different protocols, so I can't see how this would ever work, and the scathing reviews on Amazon (including reports of causing irreparable damage to customers' USB ports / motherboards) would also support this. However tempting it may be to try them, please don't. 

As far as HDMI is concerned, HDMI is for display output. Although you can get Firewire/HDMI adapters, they are essentially graphic cards that plug in to your firewire port. In other words, they're for connecting your laptop to a TV via your firewire interface. They do not work the other way around - your laptop's HDMI port is output only.

If you have a PCMCIA slot on your laptop, there are a few Firewire PCMCIA cards out there that will work, but if not you're out of luck.

If that's the case, I'd recommend looking at some of the USB audio interfaces out there.

The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is probably the most popular at the moment and has great pre-amps. The Scarlett 6i6 is closest to what you have already, and there's the 2i4 / 4i4 as well.

If you're on a budget, Behringer are worth looking at. The mic pre's aren't great, but the line inputs are fantastic.

• Like 1