Console 1 - 5 Reasons you might want one

Blades

Hey all.  I recently got a Softube Console 1 and added to to my equipment collection.

I have been spending some time getting accustomed to using it and figuring it out.  In this process, I've out together a blog post with a Top 5 reasons to buy one.  While the video contains Studio One as the example DAW, I have also put it in Cakewalk and it works the exact same way, so what I show here can work in either DAW.  Want to check it out?  I'd appreciate a look.  Maybe it will help you decide to add one to your equipment list as well! 

https://www.blades.technology/music/daws-sonar-and-studio-one/5-reasons-to-get-a-console-1

Well done! I would never have gone to that much effort to justify a gear purchase. 😄 Most of my own semi-rational rationalizations come down to "because I need that".

However, as good as your justifications are, I have to say I remain unconvinced.

I've been 15 years now without a console or control surface. I like having the extra space. A place to set my coffee cup. Room for multiple headphones, shakers, tambourine and a little fan for hot days. 

Ha!  Yeah - I have a whole drumkit behind me, so space is hardly a concern in this case.  I have my shakers, tamborine,  and such laying on the floor under the "floor tom".  My Coffee/beer (time-of-day dependant) still sits nicely just to the right of the Faderport 8->Console 1.

And, as you can see in the video behind me, I just "sheetrocked" my door closed in prep for other changes in my room, one of which will be a re-arrangement from corner desk to flat on the wall desk that I'm actually going to attach as "shelves" to the wall, freeing up space and making my area to keep various beverages larger!

Thanks for the comment.

8 hours ago, bitflipper said:

I've been 15 years now without a console or control surface. I like having the extra space.

You have no idea what your missing. Before I had a control surface (mid 2000's) I didn't know what I was missing either. Now I don't know how I would survive without one.

2 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

You have no idea what your missing. Before I had a control surface (mid 2000's) I didn't know what I was missing either. Now I don't know how I would survive without one.

Before I got rid of any hardware that didn't bolt into a rack (mid 2000's), I also didn't know how I'd survive without that stuff.

I do now. 

4 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

Before I got rid of any hardware that didn't bolt into a rack (mid 2000's), I also didn't know how I'd survive without that stuff.

I do now. 

That's fair.

What do you use for a quality pre amp though ?

While I agree VST plug ins have come a long way they cant compare to quality Rackmount EQ's, Compressors, exc.

Though its a little unfair to compare Rackmount gear to a control surface. Rackmount gear will not allow you to control the software you are using.

They make rack-mounted preamps. 

But I ended up selling mine and bought another synth with the proceeds. No, that doesn't make me a hypocrite - it was rack-mounted.

When Elon Musk finally perfects the direct brain-to-computer interface, I'll be getting rid of my big keyboard as well.

• Like 1