"On Your Way", a final mix i need some feedback on

bats brew

Listened to this on my Bose headphones.

Really like the song Bat. Real good transition in the middle there. I liked that scratch rhythm guitar in the middle right after the transition.
Good lead vocals, good harmony, I can hear them all. Bass sounds good to me. Also the kick sounded good and strong throughout the song.

But I listened to it three four times. First time I was thinking that the lead guitar in the center wasn't as clear or up-front as I would like. It was like the Sides were over powering the Mid as I could hear the rhythm guitar parts very clear over the lead.

So I gave it another listen with the volume dropped a lot. Then I could hear the leads real clear but still not as loud as the sides. All the other instruments were just as clear at the lower volume. Just not as intimate. :)

Over all really NICE and  very wide stereo field mix Batman! Listening thru my Atom near field monitors. Long live ProgRock! I'm detecting a slight peaking on the right side seemingly being caused by build/pump up somewhere midrange frequencies, and which at times makes the hard panned right guitar seem too peak bright & loud in places, and only the right channel VU just barely peaks at 0 dba on my monitor controller, and that's a little weak for an analog output signal.

While it's certainly never OK to exceed 0 db on a "digital" track or buss, it's very much OK to bounce peaks on the VU's up to +3 dba (amplitude), especially for power rock such as this.

I don't believe the bright & loud is in the overall mixing and EQ itself,  perhaps just needs a tweak'in with a multiband compressor on the master buss, or better yet, if you have one, an Adaptive EQ which can be adjusted and tweaked to only add limiting to the trouble "PEAKING" spots and let all other freq's alone.

The Waves F6 is ideal for that job, and no I don't work for Waves, but the F6 is great for zeroing in on the mid, either side, stereo, and or L/R.

Edited by Steev

17 hours ago, Grem said:

Listened to this on my Bose headphones.

Really like the song Bat. Real good transition in the middle there. I liked that scratch rhythm guitar in the middle right after the transition.
Good lead vocals, good harmony, I can hear them all. Bass sounds good to me. Also the kick sounded good and strong throughout the song.

But I listened to it three four times. First time I was thinking that the lead guitar in the center wasn't as clear or up-front as I would like. It was like the Sides were over powering the Mid as I could hear the rhythm guitar parts very clear over the lead.

So I gave it another listen with the volume dropped a lot. Then I could hear the leads real clear but still not as loud as the sides. All the other instruments were just as clear at the lower volume. Just not as intimate. :)

hey grem

thanks for listening!

that lead you're talking about,

yea, i've re-eq'd that a couple of times now, 

and have it sitting much better, thanks.

yea, mixing with the 'volume' thing is a great trick for finding obvious issues,

but can be misleading, unless you plan on mixing for people to listen very quietly...

which i never do!! LOL

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steev said:

Over all really NICE and  very wide stereo field mix Batman! Listening thru my Atom near field monitors. Long live ProgRock! I'm detecting a slight peaking on the right side seemingly being caused by build/pump up somewhere midrange frequencies, and which at times makes the hard panned right guitar seem too peak bright & loud in places, and only the right channel VU just barely peaks at 0 dba on my monitor controller, and that's a little weak for an analog output signal.

While it's certainly never OK to exceed 0 db on a "digital" track or buss, it's very much OK to bounce peaks on the VU's up to +3 dba (amplitude), especially for power rock such as this.

I don't believe the bright & loud is in the overall mixing and EQ itself,  perhaps just needs a tweak'in with a multiband compressor on the master buss, or better yet, if you have one, an Adaptive EQ which can be adjusted and tweaked to only add limiting to the trouble "PEAKING" spots and let all other freq's alone.

The Waves F6 is ideal for that job, and no I don't work for Waves, but the F6 is great for zeroing in on the mid, either side, stereo, and or L/R.

hi steev

thanks for listening, appreciate it.

this is a unmastered mix,

so there will be level adjustments at the mastering stage.

i mix with a -2db ceiling and a RMS of about -14, for my 'high def' file levels.

that's why you don't see anything near the ceiling you discuss...

when i master, i push to rms of about -11 and a ceiling of around -0.7 db.

that will be the 'hot one', and will still have about double the dynamic range of the typical pro release.

4 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Today I’m listening in a Ford rental, the kick and bass are happenin’! More beater on this kit? or this system is hyping those freqs. 

I’m not hearing any “issues” , I would not call it “overly” bright. 

Classic Batsbrew, Print it, move on. 

T

hey tom,

glad you dig this one,

i've got some play with beater mix on the drums,

but not much, it's a single stereo file, so the mix is cooked.

On 9/1/2019 at 7:56 PM, DeeringAmps said:

The kick is good , I was curious if you had added beater to this one. 

As always, a fan,

T

you know, i really don't remember if i added more beater to this one or not...

everytime i remix the song, i tweak damn near everything!

now this drum track, was written in Sony Acid,

not superior drummer, which is what i usually use.

so it is a single stereo track, and i have no more control over mix elements,

only eq.

so i might have eq'd a bit of point on the kick, to get it to stand out a bit.