How to record MIDI data after notes have been placed in PRV?

sadicus

How to record MIDI data after notes have been placed in PRV?
example:
external MIDI Controller (with Volume pedal, Sliders, Mod wheel.)
MIDI Notes and keyswitch articulations are laid out in PRV, what's the best way to record the Mod wheel + Vol slider, and what channel to record it to?
track 1 channel 1 Violin 1 (Mod wheel + Vol slider on what channel?)
track 2 channel 2 Flute (Mod wheel + Vol slider on what channel?)
track 3 channel 3 Cello (Mod wheel + Vol slider on what channel?)

by promidi
To get Cakewalk by Bandlab to Rechannel the events when bouncing MIDI clips on the same track, to match that of the track itself, do the following:
In the file %APPDATA%\cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\cakewalk.ini under the [WinCake] section, add the following line.
RechannelMIDI=1

If you're recording MIDI for different instruments of a multitimbral synth into the same track, you'll need to set the transmit channel on your controller to match the relevant channel of the synth, and not set either an input or output channel on the track in Cakewalk.

In general, I would suggest that it's much better to have one MIDI track per channel for many reasons, including that you can then use the track controls for MIDI Gain (Velocity Offset), Volume, Panning, etc. 

• Great Idea 1

On 8/30/2019 at 4:25 PM, MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve) said:

I am assuming the suggestion of using separate tracks for your per track CC data didn't help.  Not sure what the missing link is.

I understood the problem to be about recording live MIDI input. You can't force a change in the recorded channel of incoming events; you have to be sending on the correct channel from your controller. 

On 8/30/2019 at 2:47 PM, sadicus said:

There are not many Cakewalk videos showing this, please post if you find any links.

Over time most users' workflow has evolved to recording/entering everything as channel 1, and using forced output channels to channelize events for multi-timbral synths when necessary. It's just  a lot more straightforward overall, and it's easier to see what channel is being sent at a glance without having to be concerned about the channel embedded in the events. As an old-school MIDI user from the late '80s, it took me a while to embrace this model, but it really is simpler in the long run for most purposes.

Edited by David Baay

4 minutes ago, David Baay said:

I understood the problem to be about recording live MIDI input. You can't force a change in the recorded channel of incoming events; you have to be sending on the correct channel from your controller. 

Just to clarify: I had sent a PM.  "I am assuming the suggestion of using separate tracks for your per track CC data didn't help." was a reference to that which I thought would elicit a public clarification.  It didn't.  My bad for mentioning that.  It will be utterly confusing to anyone reading your reply if I try to reconstruct the whole interaction because the narrative will have overlapping time frames.  So I will delete that from my post.