MIDI latency

tim E

There's a latency happening when using the Cakewalk DAW... maybe 200 ms... Doesn't happen with the Pro Tools First DAW... Using same computer same interface... Running a MIDI keyboard into Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 into a Dell 3ghz, 8 gig ram... I think the all of the drivers are up to date... Tried messing with buffer times etc., in the preferences...

I know that audio and MIDI latency are different problems... Looked through a bunch of the Forum pages and searched "MIDI latency" but came up with nothing here.

If anyone has insight and solutions I will be grateful.  Thanks ~Tim

9 hours ago, Promidi said:

Preferences | Audio | Devices and settings - Driver mode

Found it in Preferences | Audio | Playback and Recording.  Changed to ASIO ... got rid of the latency... but now it sustains notes.  Just holds onto them until I exit the song.

I did some searching in the forum and found helpful info here...

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/5573-stuck-midi-notes-still-a-problem/

In - Prefs, MIDI - Playback and Recording / Playback, I reset the Buffers to 250 ms... seemed to have fixed the problem.

But no... still getting a stuck note. Any other fix info would be most helpful.

Tim

Edited by Timhisattva

4 hours ago, Timhisattva said:

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/5573-stuck-midi-notes-still-a-problem/

In - Prefs, MIDI - Playback and Recording / Playback, I reset the Buffers to 250 ms... seemed to have fixed the problem.

Tim

Try increasing it further....  I have mine at 750

5 hours ago, Timhisattva said:

Tim

One source of stuck notes might be the midi data itself--e.g., sustain on with a missing sustain off, note durations that cause the note to hang, etc.  If its still a problem and you haven't looked yet, possibly check Views > Event List.

1 hour ago, Promidi said:

Try increasing it further....  I have mine at 750

Tried 750... problem persists. I'll keep trying different buffer settings.

I've noticed that when in ASIO mode, I can't adjust the latency, and I'm now getting some "scratchiness" distortion during playback.

Seems that --- One thing... leads to another...

21 minutes ago, MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve) said:

One source of stuck notes might be the midi data itself--e.g., sustain on with a missing sustain off, note durations that cause the note to hang, etc.  If its still a problem and you haven't looked yet, possibly check Views > Event List.

I'm getting the stuck note when I'm just testing the new settings. Manually playing the midi keyboard...  Doesn't ,,, or hasn't yet produced stuck notes during playback.

10 minutes ago, Timhisattva said:

I've noticed that when in ASIO mode, I can't adjust the latency, and I'm now getting some "scratchiness" distortion during playback.

ASIO buffer settings must be made with the software supplied by the audio interface manufacturer.

13 minutes ago, Timhisattva said:

I'm getting the stuck note when I'm just testing the new settings. Manually playing the midi keyboard...  Doesn't ,,, or hasn't yet produced stuck notes during playback.

Then I think it's more to do with with your keyboard is actually transmitting.  What model MIDI controller is it? 

I have never had this issue with my PCR-800 and a Focusrite 2i2 and manually playing VSTis

8 minutes ago, scook said:

ASIO buffer settings must be made with the software supplied by the audio interface manufacturer.

So... I have to find a Focusrite software interface page... somewhere... This is getting to be some fun...

2 minutes ago, Promidi said:

Then I think it's more to do with with your keyboard is actually transmitting.  What model MIDI controller is it? 

I have never had this issue with my PCR-800 and a Focusrite 2i2 and manually playing VSTis

It's a Quick Shot, Midi Composer... I suppose I could switch over to the Ensoniq EPS (sigh) ...

As I said in the OP I have zero problem with the MIDI when using the Pro Tools First DAW...  The problem somehow seems to live in Cakewalk.

9 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

What MIDI driver mode are you using within Cakewalk ?

I always use my Focusrite in MME mode rather than UWP:

image.png.bfa909a49e3d05429267448fda2de753.png

Note:  You'll have to close down any project to change this.

It's in MME... and that's the ONLY option available in the drop-down.