No crossfading with lanes open?

jono grant

You can't get auto-crossfades by just creating clip overlaps as happens in the parent track, but you can manually cross-fade slip-edited clips that abut eachother in lanes by holding Ctrl with the Smart tool, hovering over the lower half of the split til you see the cross-fade tool, and then clicking and dragging (up, I think) to created the crossfade.

Have you tried the new filter for the Smart Tool?  Unselect "Comp" in the Smart Tool drop-down. Then you can edit take lanes much the same way as you could back when they were called "Layers".

The short answer to your question is; yes.  However when lanes are open track edits must be made on one (or more) of the lanes, not the track itself.

2 hours ago, Base 57 said:

Have you tried the new filter for the Smart Tool?  Unselect "Comp" in the Smart Tool drop-down. Then you can edit take lanes much the same way as you could back when they were called "Layers".

The short answer to your question is; yes.  However when lanes are open track edits must be made on one (or more) of the lanes, not the track itself.

Thanks, just tried unchecking "comp" from the smart tool but it seems to act no differently. I was hoping so bad that what you said would work but it doesn't seem to. Still doing the same annoying stuff.. Sorry, I preferred the "lanes" to this comp thing that I don't use. Frustrating. Not sure why deselecting "comp" doesn't work. My version is updated to the latest... hmmm...

2 hours ago, David Baay said:

You can't get auto-crossfades by just creating clip overlaps as happens in the parent track, but you can manually cross-fade slip-edited clips that abut eachother in lanes by holding Ctrl with the Smart tool, hovering over the lower half of the split til you see the cross-fade tool, and then clicking and dragging (up, I think) to created the crossfade.

Trying what you're suggesting but holding control doesn't seem to do anything on a clip lane. Was hoping it would...not sure what I'm doing wrong..

I'm not sure what might prevent your getting the cross-fade tool other than that the clips must be slip-edited (so there's some material on both sides to cross-fade), and abutting with no gap between them. This happens automatically if you run one clip with a slip-edited boundary into another clip in the same lane. Then maybe expand the lane height a bit, and hover over the boundary.

Maybe not the most current documentation, but here's a good reference for how the various clip editing tools work in lanes, and what their cursors look like:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=NewFeatures.022.html

Figure 13. Hold down the CTRL key and drag up/down to adjust a crossfade.

NewFeatures.022.18.png