Edit Tool

Craig Pavone

28 minutes ago, Craig Pavone said:

What if you're zoomed in and can't see either edge, is there an easy way to change the direction?

There is always a horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of the screen, even if you're zoomed in. Just scroll to the left or right to expose the edge of the clip. This also applies to fades and cross fades--BTW.

The answers to these questions seem too obvious. Cakewalk obeys the usual GUI convention where pushing the mouse to the right makes the cursor also move in that direction, same deal with left and up and down. Somehow, I doubt that's where your confusion lies.

@Craig Pavone, please provide more information as requested. The Edit Tool behaves different ways in different situations.

The only time it messes me up is directly after I have split a clip and I want to trim the edge of one of the resulting clips. The Edit Tool thinks that what I want is to sit and merrily move the split point back and forth between the adjoining clips when that is not the case, no, not at all.

If I hold the Control key, the Edit tool will let go of one of the clips and let me trim the other one like I want. Maybe that's what you mean?

More info on what you're trying to do and what's going wrong, and we'll be happy to help.

• Like 1

When I'm zoomed in on a clip and I move the tool to the left or right side of the clips pane, it doesn't always point in the direction that I want it to point.  It would make sense to me that when the tool is on the left side of the clips pane, you always get the left to right slip edit, and the opposite would apply for the right side of the clips pane.

3 hours ago, Craig Pavone said:

It would make sense to me that when the tool is on the left side of the clips pane, you always get the left to right slip edit, and the opposite would apply for the right side of the clips pane.

It goes by which end of the clip you're closest to, regardless of the position in the pane. You need to be zoomed out far enough that the center of the clip is in view, and start your edit left or right of center, according to which edge you want to adjust.

Edited by David Baay