BEYERDYNAMIC DT 990 PRO STUDIO HEADPHONES (NINJA BLACK, LIMITED EDITION)

cclarry

59 minutes ago, jude77 said:

Then step 1 is avoid this forum.  Step 2 is do not turn your computer on!  Personally, I have lost every battle I have fought with GAS.

WHooaaaa HHAAAaaaa   I was laughing hard when I read that statement.  😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Carlos said:

I have them, not worthy at all, can't wait to sell mine (locally). TOO Bright. I don't know why they make headphones too bright.
It's like running chalk on a board... or a metal big spoon on a cooking pot... 

I do a lot of headphone mixing, never used Beyerdynamic's so can't really tell... but you get what you pay for. Years back when I briefly worked with Bob Katz he recommended the Audeze headphones. I never looked back... :-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Bohlen said:

I do a lot of headphone mixing, never used Beyerdynamic's so can't really tell... but you get what you pay for. Years back when I briefly worked with Bob Katz he recommended the Audeze headphones. I never looked back... 🙂

Weird, even on the musiciansfriend another forum mate posted here, in the reviews even though he says Very Good he then continues to say they need EQ, and that they are too bright (ok he says:  if you still have good (sensitive) hearing in the higher frequencies than you will probably find the treble painful) so I don't understand his logic, either they are Very Good (they are not, cheap 4 bucks pluggers sound better) or they aren't... sigh...

I would have expected for the money I paid for them they would be an amazing product. Not even close. How much do I have to pay for a great pair of cans?

Your Audeze look great mate (what model do you have?), but 900 bucks... ouch... although if I was guaranteed they are awesome, maybe I'd get some... one day :P

I mix almost exclusively in headphones....and I use these
I paid like $70...and the mix translates VERY well everywhere...
and they are METAL construction, and built like a tank,
but, again, Headphones are HIGHLY subjective, as it's a combination
of WHO is listening, and KNOWING your headphones, not necessarily
HOW MUCH you pay for Headphones!  A GREAT Mix Engineer can 
take the cheapest pair of headphones and get a GREAT mix out of them!
WHY?  Because he KNOWS what he's doing, and WHAT he is doing it with,
and makes his decisions accordingly!

Just like Zack Wylde can take a "Hello Kitty" Guitar...and you know the rest.
(and, BTW, I'm NOT a great Mix Engineer by ANY stretch of the imagination!)
e685597782427f3ce28dffa18cad5906.jpg

• Like 1

LOL... I once met a pro pool player that beat everybody in the room with a broom stick. Imagine what he can do with a pro cue stick. I hear that all the time on how this cheap gadget can do this and that. And in some cases that's true. It doesn't have to be expensive to do the job. Now, Bob was telling me about a problem in my mix that I wasn't able to hear on the existing headphones I was using at that time. I think I'd take the recommendation of a Grammy Award-winning mastering engineer any time. Once, someone told me... can you hear the pin drop in your mix? Now you know why you pay the big bucks... ;-)

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

Weird, even on the musiciansfriend another forum mate posted here, in the reviews even though he says Very Good he then continues to say they need EQ, and that they are too bright (ok he says:  if you still have good (sensitive) hearing in the higher frequencies than you will probably find the treble painful) so I don't understand his logic, either they are Very Good (they are not, cheap 4 bucks pluggers sound better) or they aren't... sigh...

I would have expected for the money I paid for them they would be an amazing product. Not even close. How much do I have to pay for a great pair of cans?

Your Audeze look great mate (what model do you have?), but 900 bucks... ouch... although if I was guaranteed they are awesome, maybe I'd get some... one day :P

I started with the LCD-2 Classic. Now I'm using the LCD-X and considering to upgrade to LCD-MX4

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Bohlen said:

LOL... I once met a pro pool player that beat everybody in the room with a broom stick. Imagine what he can do with a pro cue stick. I hear that all the time on how this cheap gadget can do this and that. And in some cases that's true. It doesn't have to be expensive to do the job. Now, Bob was telling me about a problem in my mix that I wasn't able to hear on the existing headphones I was using at that time. I think I'd take the recommendation of a Grammy Award-winning mastering engineer any time. Once, someone told me... can you hear the pin drop in your mix? Now you know why you pay the big bucks... 😉

Like I said...HIGHLY subjective...

Just because someone "endorses" it, doesn't mean that it's right for YOU!
Your ears are NOT his ears, nor will they ever be, but feel free to spend whatever
money you wish...after all, it's YOUR money!
(and maybe you just weren't "listening" for the pin drop!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cclarry said:

I mix almost exclusively in headphones....and I use these
I paid like $70...and the mix translates VERY well everywhere...
and they are METAL construction, and built like a tank,
but, again, Headphones are HIGHLY subjective, as it's a combination
of WHO is listening, and KNOWING your headphones, not necessarily
HOW MUCH you pay for Headphones!  A GREAT Mix Engineer can 
take the cheapest pair of headphones and get a GREAT mix out of them!
WHY?  Because he KNOWS what he's doing, and WHAT he is doing it with,
and makes his decisions accordingly!

Just like Zack Wylde can take a "Hello Kitty" Guitar...and you know the rest.
(and, BTW, I'm NOT a great Mix Engineer by ANY stretch of the imagination!)

Thanks mate, I am looking for something that sounds amazing, and the BeyerD really let me down, as AKG did.
Not looking for a great mix, but something where I enjoy (truly enjoy) listening to music where also they don't lie (too much) to me.
Not looking for exaggerated lows, but also not highs (as lots of headphones these days seem to be).
For example I have the Vic Firth SIH2 Stereo Isolation Headphones, and they (for me) sound a lot better, Youtube videos where people don't use microphones
to record their voices (bad choice) and the room sound is all over the place, with these aforementioned headphones I really feel I am with them
in their room. The BeyerD don't give me that :( (Also very low nuanced sounds with the Vic Firth are appreciated which is rather surprising in a good way,
like ASMR artist touching the microphone a little bit or just stepping the floor).
The only "bad" thing going on for them is that they are not comfortable, the pads are the worst (because of heat), and you have to "mold" these steel parts
so they aren't too tight so they fit your head better.
For me I found that the marketplace is full of sht everywhere, and we end up paying the price... that's really disconcerting.

32 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Like I said...HIGHLY subjective...

Just because someone "endorses" it, doesn't mean that it's right for YOU!
Your ears are NOT his ears, nor will they ever be, but feel free to spend whatever
money you wish...after all, it's YOUR money!
(and maybe you just weren't "listening" for the pin drop!)

I'm not sure why you're upset over it. I wasn't alluding everyone should just go out and buy what I'm using. I bought my LCD-2's used on eBay for like $400 and I was amazed at the sound quality and detail. People that have nothing to do with mixing or music production and listen through my cans can't believe how good everything sounds. And that says a lot... EVERYTHING is subjective. But I guess not everybody is open minded.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to come back and say that:

I hope I didn't deter anyone from buying them.
In my journey (I hate that) testing gear to see what was good or worked, I knew I needed new heaphones.
So I got some AKG K240 Studio Mk II (I used to have the regular ones), and they turned out to be the worst headphones I had in my life (like 2000000% bright, brittle, harsh, no punch).
Then I got a Tascam interface (I had/have a Uphoria Behringer 404HD), 16x08 because it was very cheap (16 ins) so I could record my drumset.
It was a total nightmare (drivers wise) and well, my AKG headphones didn't sound any better.
Then after the drivers nightmare got fixed (finally) I started hating Youtube videos a lot, because of their sound quality (this happened even before
getting the new Tascam interface).

Soooo, I bought these Beyerdynamic 990 DT Pro because the web glorified them (kinda).
And even though they weren't as bright/brittle/harsh with no punch at all, my experience wasn't any better.

After struggling with cables, connections, having bought a Yamaha receiver for my unused Yamaha NS244 monitors, I noticed that my Yamaha was distorting
the output, or so I thought...

Then it hit me: Maybe this interface is coloring the output (it doesn't help that a lot of Youtube audio content is bad, no matter the point of view, but bearable).

So I took out my Uphoria interface from its box  (was planning on selling it) and used with it my new heaphones (DT Pro).

WTF is going on!!!! This world is crazy!!! My heaphones came alive, LITERALLY: Night and day!

They weren't brittle, bright, harsh (ok maybe from 200000% from my AKG reference, and yes, the AKG were used first with my Uphoria, so they sck ballz still),
but also got PUNCH, I didn't have to fight lows or low mids! I got convinced for a while because of my AKG and DT Pro (on the Tascam) that open heaphones were
destined to be this way, but nope, these DT Pro's finally sounded amazing (in comparison to using them with my Tascam).

So through my Yamaha receiver, I haven't heard them distorted, in fact, thanks to it I can EQ them a little bit down on the highs (-4), and still sound open not muddled

as  if I tried the same thing when using the Tascam interface.

So, in summary: Tascam sckz ballz to the infinite (I have sworn before no never buy anything from them, but it was the cheapest option to record drums at the time),
DT PRo rock, Yamaha NS244 rock (to an extent) and Uphoria interfaces are indeed really good (maybe not PRO PRO PRO but you get the point).

All in all, it seems the signal chain does matter, but the fkced up situation is took me forever to find out... wasted lots of time (life) to find out... sigh...

(DT Pros has allowed me to hear stuff I didn't hear before even on Youtube videos, I almost sold them, now no way they are leaving my desk :P)

Cheers mates.

Edited by Carlos