How To Overcome The Effects Of Gear Acquisition Syndrome The Next Time You're Tempted By A New Studio Toy

cclarry

The article is a good read and perfectly rational, which is why it probably won't encourage anyone to change.

If I'm anywhere near typical, there can be a lot of history and emotional baggage behind the desire to acquire the next piece of gear.  GAS is just the tip of the iceberg.  Dealing with what's going on deep inside us is a huge undertaking, the work of lifetime.  An infinitely worthwhile process with nothing to do with the studio.

• Like 3

Of course this year, we're in the process of buying a new house and moving.   That may have something to do with it.  :)

The upside is that I have a bonus room solely dedicated to a small home studio.

(Does wanting something you would never be able to afford count?  I want a 16 voice Moog One for a cool 8K)

Edited by husker

When I experience a bad episode of Studio GAS ,,,

1. I Let it out. Holding in gas can cause bloating, discomfort, and pain. .

2. I Pass stool. A bowel movement can relieve gas. ...

3. I will Eat slowly. ...

4. I  always avoid chewing gum. ...

5. Next I say no to straws. ...

6. I will quit eating Chocolate . ...

7. I choose non-carbonated drinks. ...

8. I eliminate problematic foods.

Oh, That's not the type of Studio GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) we are discussing here today ??  🙄

Edited by jesse g
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, husker said:

Of course this year, we're in the process of buying a new house and moving.   That may have something to do with it.  :)

The upside is that I have a bonus room solely dedicated to a small home studio.

(Does wanting something you would never be able to afford count?  I want a 16 voice Moog One for a cool 8K)

That's when you realize how much stuff you really have.

• Like 1