XLN Audio 50% OFF Summer Madness

DrShelder

Weird, now that I have my system perfectly gathered and smoothed out, I got the chance to buy AD2 Custom XL plus Trigger plus Drum Vault (which is basically 2 kits without cymbals) plus the Transient plugin they have (DS 10), all for almost the same price as the Custom XL alone (half/sale price) and after disabling any processing within AD2, in order to get the "raw" sound, I feel they are the best drums in the market so far.

And yes, I am aware they haven't updated in a while, and yeah, perhaps a new interface it's needed, idk, asides the fact that gallery and explore are pretty neat (they look fantastic, looking at the drumkit and those pictures to me are inspiring).

Snare sound full as I think they should sound, room and overheads sound very very good and when compressed (as they "suggest" within the patches/presets) they come much more alive and I've noticed that lot of the drum sound is the overheads, so they win there in my book. Before AD2 I got very near in a time period SSD5 and comparing the 2 I think ssd5 falls short, specially the snares. Maybe it's the rooms, I don't know, I feel comparing the 2 SSD5 feels a little sterile, even though I swear they have one of the best kicks in the market (cymbals fall kinda short too now that I can compare to AD2). And please don't mention SD3, lol. 

I myself love Boutique Mallets and Modern Soul and R&B because it includes MEINL cymbals, which are in a totally different league than Zildjian and Sabian and whatever, but also, specially BM have a warm sound to the drums, that you can not only play 4/4 songs but can go crazy making ART.

Jazz Sticks (haven't tried brushes but I am eager to) omg, toms sound like toms should sound (for some reason the development/progression/evolution of the toms' sound through the eras/years has changed so much to more compressed/plastic sounding (plastic for lack of a better word, here I am not trying to say plastic is bad, just comparing the Jazz Sticks sound, as it sounds more of a concert drum, more of a acoustic sound/drum) .

My favorite drummer ever was and will be Mike Portnoy so yeah, I love his kick drum sound and all the kicks from the drum kits I have from XLN so far sound stellar (without processing, I hate processing, specially distortion, although maybe one day I will use that to make 1 frakcing song and that's it, lol).

I liked AD2 so much more that I feel I need to buy another CUstom XL because I want 6 more kits (I went crazy before buying and did my fracking homework, time
consuming comparing all the sets, making annotations etc and even then when time to decide it was very hard to choose, although Boutique Mallets was a no brainer)

• Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 5:07 PM, jesse g said:

Nothing New from XLN.  Although I like AD2,  it is time for AD3.   Also, I am getting tired of their stale website and drums.

Don't don't even mention the over priced OX

I'm a bit baffled by XLN.  Other than OX there's been nothing new for years, not even a midi pack.  It makes me wonder if all is well with them.  I hope so because I really love AD2.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jude77 said:

Other than OX there's been nothing new for years, not even a midi pack.

They have been releasing adpaks - Pop, Soul, Heavy, Mallets - each next more awesome sounding. I would call that activity of some sort. Have you guys noticed how the room sound has been improving with each next release?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2019 at 3:44 AM, Grem said:

Do you mean updating? Or a redesign?

Updating sure , redesign , i made a skype session with them and i went deep in request demosntrati,g what i was missing or what was counter intuitive or non done right ... Theye're cool , concerned and take stuff seriously , like all nordic country guyz , communciation and hype sisn't their main intereste lol so this might lead to feeling like Oncle Larry just exprenced ....

Can't recall who told me to try Kilohearts  bitcrush , but it's exellent ...one of the best i tried so far ....so at 9$ this is a self gift for me ....hehe

1 hour ago, Zo said:

Can't recall who told me to try Kilohearts  bitcrush

bitcrush sounds like a distortion plugin to me. Am I wrong?

Glad to hear they are listening to the users. They could learn a lot about what users are expecting out of their products and UI.

36 minutes ago, Grem said:

bitcrush sounds like a distortion plugin to me. Am I wrong?

Glad to hear they are listening to the users. They could learn a lot about what users are expecting out of their products and UI.

It s not disto per say , bit reduction and sample rate reduction , gives any sounds from mpc 60 or akai s950 to sp 1200 ;) but not gimmiky like a lot of plugin around ...

For those that want a starting point , here's what i'm trying right now , pretty solid 

Bits is set at 12 ;)  play with mix to taste ;) 

Dither increase it to get a cleaner sound and to compensate for the noise introduced by the quantize ...

image.png.dacbb4c41302fb0216a5ed69c47724ad.png

Edited by Zo