MIDI clips: how to keep them in entire units

Bronxio

Question

Hi, I would like to know if there is any way to edit MIDI clips and not to divide them in the timeline. I have a mayhem of self-made frankenstein-like clip groups (please see the attached image) and it's a little difficult to select them properly sometimes.

In other words, I don't want Cakewalk to sepparate automatically my clips: I want to be able to edit a MIDI one in the piano roll and keep it entire, in one unique piece (as before editing it)

Thanks in advance!

Cakewalk.JPG

5 answers to this question

Cool! Now I can have my clips together, thanks!

Anyway, does this mean that there is no way to tell Cakealk that, by default, I do not want it to split my clips when I edit them?

Edited by Bronxio
Just to make cleare the first sentence, and added a missed "l"

3 hours ago, Bronxio said:

does this mean that there is no way to tell Cakealk that, by default, I do not want it to split my clips when I edit them?

It all depends on what type of editing your doing. How are you getting these small clips, from copy/paste ?

Myself, I do a lot of Drag/select - copy/paste maneuvers (I select a region, then hold CNTRL and drop it to a new area). This cause clips to be separated into smaller fragments.

It really is just part of the workflow to be honest. I have Bounce to clips linked to my Custom module. It becomes a 2 click procedure.

1-  select the whole track

2- press one button/Done !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

How are you getting these small clips, from copy/paste ?

After editing inside the piano roll, but I relaised it's because what you said: copy/paste (didn't know the drag with ctrl way, thanks for explaining it). I'll try your method of the custom module or with a keyboard shortcut anyway to make it faster, thanx 👍

In case anyone could say a way to tell Cakewalk not to create new clips when copy/pasting, it would be cool!

Might as well get used to clips. They are fundamental to the way CbB works. In fact, there are two different clip types that may be hosted in instrument/MIDI tracks: regular MIDI clips and step sequencer clips. They are similar in appearance and function but different in how the data is stored and edited.