RECIPE OF THE WORLD

SPAK

3 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

Enjoyed this alot.  The lyrics are simple and to the point. (Just as the song came to a close, a commercial came on for a diet program!  :D:D)

Oh dear ... I tried a very serious attempt at poignant subject and ended up laughing till I cried ... thanks David (for trying to at least listen to the song!) .. and thanks for the post ...stay well

Steve

9 hours ago, Will said:

Excellent!!! I haven't heard this before, have I? I don't remember it. I might warm up the vox a bit, but it's a good effect the way you have it too.

Thanks Will, you may have heard it before but I have redone the whole track with Cubase and put it up again on the tube. How to warm up the vox ? explain and I'll do it

Regards

Steve

42 minutes ago, Will said:

It sounds like you've dropped most of the mids out. The effect works though. I could go either way.

I see what you mean, think it's a bit toppy and the mids could be improved ... I've done another mix which to my ear sounds better but YT didn't take the format so watch this space ... btw Thanks I don't takes your ears/time for granted

All the Best

Mark Knopfler in style, what a great compliment that is! How about a combo of Paul Simon and Randy Newman on the vocals?

But that's overcomparing. I liked the video and the choices you made there. Pretty mellow all the way through. The mix was bright but didn't think too much so. Don't need drum n bass for this one. Most everything about it is understated, which works. Your guitar fill work in the vocal gaps fits well.

nice job!

-Tom

What a great song Steve, never heard this one before. You're good at building the backing arrangement as the song goes on, I like that.  I could make suggestions about the mix, but actually it works just fine, it's dreamy and melancholy, suits the song perfectly.

On 1/14/2019 at 5:50 PM, Kevin Walsh said:

This is a great song. I really love  your voice and the whole vibe of the piece. Really enjoyed it and the lovely guitar work.

Thanks Kevin for your time and comments

22 hours ago, daryl1968 said:

this is great - your voice reminds me of Mick Hucknell of Simply Red in this one.

There are a couple of spots where the guitar/vocal timing run away from the drums but the overall effect is really very nice.

I agree the timing did runaway a bit , not being a very good guitar player I find it hard to do slow stuff (and fast stuff really) .. so well spotted. Wouldn't mind Mick Hucknell's bank account though 😖

20 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Another beautiful song.  I rather like the "bit toppy" effect on your voice.

Thanks Bjorn although I have to agree with Will on this one, in that the mids are a bit lacking (That's what you get for mixing on cans at 2 in the morning LOL)

10 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

Mark Knopfler in style, what a great compliment that is! How about a combo of Paul Simon and Randy Newman on the vocals?

But that's overcomparing. I liked the video and the choices you made there. Pretty mellow all the way through. The mix was bright but didn't think too much so. Don't need drum n bass for this one. Most everything about it is understated, which works. Your guitar fill work in the vocal gaps fits well.

nice job!

-Tom

Couldn't get the three of them in my studio ... but I'd have a dam good try!!! Thankyou Tom, your your observations are much appreciated

56 minutes ago, James G said:

What a great song Steve, never heard this one before. You're good at building the backing arrangement as the song goes on, I like that.  I could make suggestions about the mix, but actually it works just fine, it's dreamy and melancholy, suits the song perfectly.

Hi m8 ...I have had this one on the tube for some time but it was a v. bad mix. Long to short I downloaded the vid and re-did it with Power director and Audio director and felt it was worth posting so I get it with the mix  ... thanks for listening, & your comments.

17 hours ago, cheap_guitar said:

Very nice. Reminds me of Mark Knopfler's style.

He's another one I wouldn't mind having a similar bank account ... thanks for the compliment

Hi, I really enjoyed the lyrics in particular, but also the melody and your vocals. You have a relaxed and distinctive vocal style that has a lot of appeal.

I'm listening on headphones, so I can't give as comprehensive feedback on the mix/production as I'd like, but one thing I would suggest trying is filtering the high end out of your reverbs/ambience.  That will really help to bring your vocals forward in the mix and make them sound more personal an intimate.  It also means that you don't need to push the high end as much to make the vocals come up front.

Sweet song! 👍

11 hours ago, Accidental Engineer said:

Hi, I really enjoyed the lyrics in particular, but also the melody and your vocals. You have a relaxed and distinctive vocal style that has a lot of appeal.

I'm listening on headphones, so I can't give as comprehensive feedback on the mix/production as I'd like, but one thing I would suggest trying is filtering the high end out of your reverbs/ambience.  That will really help to bring your vocals forward in the mix and make them sound more personal an intimate.  It also means that you don't need to push the high end as much to make the vocals come up front.

Sweet song! 👍

Many thanks for the time/comment. I did remix this as Will thought the mids were making the  high end was a little keen, and I was happy with the result but I had mixed it in the wrong format for YT .... having read the comments I left it as is but I agree with you and observation, so thanks for listening. 

SPAK