What happened to the old Cakewalk forum?

Jesse Jost

44 minutes ago, Mystery Were said:

Kind of related to this. What is to happen to Command Center. And, will Bandlab ever sell stuff (like Rap Pro, Z3TA etc)

I'm betting that until BandLab releases it's own versions of the plugins, they'll keep a server or two dedicated to keeping Cakewalk Command Center working. I have Dimension Pro and Rapture SE (was gonna buy myself Rapture Pro for Christmas 2017.... and then >POOF< the Gibson thing). Along that vein, I expect BandLab will eventually offer Z3TA+ 2, Rapture Pro and a few of the other products - probably not for free, at least I wouldn't expect them to give everything away free.

But of course, I'm just guessing.

1 hour ago, Mystery Were said:

Kind of related to this. What is to happen to Command Center. And, will Bandlab ever sell stuff (like Rap Pro, Z3TA etc)

I think you should go to your old Cakewalk account and/or CCC and download everything you can find of your stuff. Then you won't have to worry about the Command Center, or hope that someone will maintain it.

34 minutes ago, Larry Jones said:

I think you should go to your old Cakewalk account and/or CCC and download everything you can find of your stuff. Then you won't have to worry about the Command Center, or hope that someone will maintain it.

Yes, it's a good idea to download all your past content. It takes some time (depending on how much you have), but worth it for possible future installations.

--
Scott R. Garrigus - http://www.garrigus.com
* Cakewalk SONAR Video Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/user/ScottGarrigus?sub_confirmation=1
* Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series: http://garrigus.com/?PowerBooks
* Publisher of the DigiFreq music recording newsletter: http://www.digifreq.com/
* Publisher of the NewTechReview consumer tech newsletter: http://www.newtechreview.com/

7 minutes ago, Scott R. Garrigus said:

Yes, it's a good idea to download all your past content. It takes some time (depending on how much you have), but worth it for possible future installations.

Scott - I'm sure this has occurred to you already, but Bandlab has 5 million new users. I'd bet at least a million of them have never seen a DAW before, so might be time for a new book.😉

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

12 minutes ago, mdiemer said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have installation discs, you're OK, right? I mean, as long as you kept all the numbers, it should authorize, right? 

I didn't know disks were even a thing for the past several years. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you bought recent versions of SONAR, it was all downloads. So you'd need to grab those downloads now and store them somewhere safe.

1 hour ago, Larry Jones said:

I didn't know disks were even a thing for the past several years. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you bought recent versions of SONAR, it was all downloads. So you'd need to grab those downloads now and store them somewhere safe.

The last version I got on Disc was SONAR Home Studio 7 XL (2010). SONAR X1 onward it was all downloadable content. SONAR X1 through X3 provided an Activation/Registration Code, so you want those (print out your My Products page). Platinum began the Cakewalk Command Center and online validation. The latest Home Studio also does the online validation.

I have install discs for 8.5 Studio and Proucer. Studio is a single disc, Producer is 4 discs. They install and authorize via codes. You may have to go online to doso; I honestly don't remember at this point. The only stuff I downloaded was to update to 8.5.3.

The SONAR 8.5 upgrade download is unique. It was the first upgrade available as a download. To reduce its size, for slow connections and bandwidth limits of the day, the SONAR 8.5 upgrade download depends on an existing SONAR 8 install. Every upgrade download after SONAR 8.5 were full retail version.

2 hours ago, scook said:

The SONAR 8.5 upgrade download is unique. It was the first upgrade available as a download. To reduce its size, for slow connections and bandwidth limits of the day, the SONAR 8.5 upgrade download depends on an existing SONAR 8 install. Every upgrade download after SONAR 8.5 were full retail version.

So, if I need to reinstall 8.5 (quite possible, as I plan to continue using W7 indefinitely, and CbB may at some point no longer work on it), will I need online activation? Which would no longer exist, I assume. I seem to recall being able to activate simply by putting in numbers, after installing witrh my install discs.

11 minutes ago, mdiemer said:

will I need online activation?

I don't think so. Registration code generation is a one time event. I have not installed 8.5 in a very long time but have re-installed other Cakewalk products that use a similar activation process. They activated with their original serial numbers and registration codes.

34 minutes ago, scook said:

I don't think so. Registration code generation is a one time event. I have not installed 8.5 in a very long time but have re-installed other Cakewalk products that use a similar activation process. They activated with their original serial numbers and registration codes.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally made it over here. It's been a couple years since I used Cakewalk or did much with recording. Got the Bandlab stuff set up and now using an M-audio 1814 w/Eleven Rack, so a new learning curve.  Thanks for being here. I'm sure I'll have questions! I was on the old forum and received much help.

34 minutes ago, Cookie Jarvis said:

8.5 that was download only.

This is not correct. It is true 8.5 was the first upgrade available as a download but disks were available. It was the only upgrade download that relied on a previous install. I purchased the 8.5 upgrade disks. Unlike the 8.5 upgrade download, the upgrade disks are a full version of the software just like all the upgrades before and after 8.5.

On 2019/1/9 at 午前7時7分, Jesse Jost said:

Edit: Adding emojis to convey sense of warmth and security

🍰🤗

^ "Cake" and "something"...

Some emojis are displayed as a square. Only me? Anyone else?
@Jesse Jost Why???

Edited by HIBI

• Jesse Jost changed the title to What happened to the old Cakewalk forum?