VST Plugin File Location

witch_wyzwurd

My Cakewalk program is in my C Drive while all of my VST Plugins I use are in my E drive. This is because of a new computer and drive. Should I just copy and paste the VSTs in E to the C VST Plugin folder? Or should I leave them in the E drive and point to them via the program? Does it matter?

Edited by witch_wyzwurd

Okay. I appreciate your help.

So I decided to point to the path of E:/Program Files/Cakewalk, and now I have my effects back; however, when I go into an effect like Sonitus:Reverb and click the effect's presets tab it only lists Default. It used to list like 20 preloaded ones and then there were some I had saved.

1. How do I get back the preloaded presets (Hall, Small Room, etc.)?

2. How do I get back custom presets I made and named?

Unless you purchased the 32bit Sonitus Suite, the plug-ins are not VST format. The bundled Sonitus suite DX plug-ins. The ones you see in CbB should be the ones installed with CbB in the "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Plugins" folder.  Clicking on the plug-ins in the Plug-in Manager will display its location at the bottom of the Plug-in Manager display.

The factory presets are in ini files in "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Plugins."

Getting custom presets back depends on how the presets were saved. The Sonitus preset manager is accessed using the Presets button in the body of the plug-in. The Cakewalk preset manager is in the standard header above all plug-in UIs. If the presets were saved using the Sonitus preset manager then they should be in the old ini files. If they were saved in the Cakewalk preset manager then they are in the old PC registry. The plug-in manager provides a way to export/import presets stored in the registry.

• Like 1

Ok. I see they're DX plug-ins. That's just my own ignorance of file type specs.

I've posted two screenshots.

One shows the E/Program Files/Cakewalk/Shared Plugins folder I've pointed to via Cakewalk Plugin Manager ( .chm, .dll and .ini files can be seen).

The other screenshot shows that Sonitus effects are pointed to in the DX tab in the Cakewalk Plugin Manager itself.

Before pointing to my effects in E folder 26 effects would be scanned, now I have 101 during scan. So I can choose effects I couldn't before you helped me, but I still don't see factory presets for Sonitus in drop-down menu when using the effect. Btw, I saved my custom presets using the effect save-icon button next to the preset name window on the effect itself, so when I'd press the drop-down menu my custom presets would be listed alongside the factory presets. And I don't see my custom presets still either.

Errr, images look really small on desktop. Hope you can see enough to help.

cakewalk-2.PNG

cakewalk-1.PNG

Edited by witch_wyzwurd

DX plug-ins are not scanned. They are registered when installed. You can see the physical location for any plug-in when clicking on the plug-in name in the plug-in manager.

From the description provided, it appears you used the Cakewalk plug-in manager pointed to by arrow 1. Any custom presets saved in this system are stored in the registry. These presets rely on the Cakewalk Plug-in Presets buttons in the plug-in manager for export/import. Do the Sonitus presets show up under the Preset button pointed to by arrow 2?

BhuV2Ru.png

FYI, the forum resizes images. To embed images without resizing use an image server. The image in this post is on http://imgur.com

• Like 1

Ok. When I add up all my "Registered Plug-ins" which is every single one of them under all of the "Plug-in Categories" in the "Plug-in Manager" they equal the same number of plug-ins that are scanned and tallied when I open the Cakewalk program and the "VST Scan" automatically runs in the bottom-right corner of the screen. Should this be?

Anyhow, I've always used the drop-down menu you've labeled as "1." That's where I've always retrieved my presets, factory or custom. I've never even clicked on the Presets button you've labeled as "2" before, so, yes, I've been talking about #1. However, now that you've pointed out #2, I clicked on it and see all of the factory presets listed, and separated into different folders which wasn't the case under drop-down area #1 when I used to use it. They'd all be listed together.

Any clue for why I see them in drop-down #2 now and not drop-down #1? Is one area better than the other? Do you recommend I put custom presets in drop-down #2 from now on? I don't understand the import/export stuff and how it works. I've never used it or knew anything about it. I'm not asking for an in-depth discussion as I'm sure there's better things you need to put your focus on, so if need be I'll go fishing around through badly, half-written instructions...lol!

There a log generated on demand for the scanner. To audit the scanner, open preferences, in scan options enable "Generate Scan Log" and run a manual scan.

AFAIK, the presets have always been available in the Sonitus preset manager.

Cakewalk tries to load presets from any plug-in and show them in its preset list. I am not sure why the Cakewalk preset manager is not picking up the Sonitus presets. Might be worth asking support@bandlab.com. Does running as administrator make a difference?

When a plug-in provides a preset manager, I usually use it instead of the Cakewalk preset manager.

• Like 1

I audited the scanner, but it's a pretty large text file and I have no idea why did it or what I'm looking for. What should I be doing with this log?

I emailed support before I went here in forums. Of course, they gave me the most basic of responses and by that time you already helped me like 4 times. Don't think I could play email tag back and forth with bandlab that long and not bash my head in.

I did try running as admin, but no difference.

I think it was on the Akai MPK mini2  setup video where they recommended to put all VST plug ins into one folder, such as OS (C:) > Program Files > VSTplugins. I guess this would be for easy management. I have done so, and it has been working just fine for me. Just a thought...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kris Olin said:

I think it was on the Akai MPK mini2  setup video where they recommended to put all VST plug ins into one folder, such as OS (C:) > Program Files > VSTplugins. I guess this would be for easy management. I have done so, and it has been working just fine for me. Just a thought...

I like this approach.  It keeps things simple.  VST plugins are relatively small, so keeping them on the OS drive is reasonable.  

If the plugin has additional sample content, the installer will usually allow you to specify a secondary path for the content only.  I put that content stuff on my D: drive, while keeping the plugin .dll file in "C: > Program Files > VSTplugins".

Moving plugins, and/or their content after installation can sometimes break things.

Using Windows directory junctions is the safest way to move things that cannot be moved via the installer or the Cakewalk preferences.   http://forum.cakewalk.com/Hello-BandlabNO-custom-install-options-Is-this-True-m3744203.aspx

• Like 2

Depends on what you mean by simple or easy management .
Once you start collecting a number of plugins or working with more that one DAW it can be more of a headache.
Storing your plugins in a system folder complicates installing updates, backups and in some cases authorizations.

This is the system that I currently use.
It optimizes scanning, eliminates almost all dupes and it works across multiple DAWS.

C:.
├───Audio
│   ├───VST32
│   │   ├───32Main
│   │   └───Has 64 bit version
│   └───VST64
│       ├───64Main
│       └───Has VST3 version

For Cakewalk my scan path is:
C:\Audio\VST32\32Main;
C:\Audio\VST64\64Main
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

For other DAWS just select the appropriate paths.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 2