Reason 11 Works as a Plugin in Your DAW!!!

Reid Rosefelt

I have been dreaming of this for years.  Well, they finally got me to upgrade.  It comes out on Sept 25th, but you can sign up for a Demo.

VST 3 only at this point.   AU coming before end of 2019. 

You can upgrade to Reason 10 now for $129 from any previous version of Reason and you'll get Reason 11 for free on 9/25.   Upgrade HERE

Reason now comes in three version:  Reason Intro ($99), Reason ($399) and Reason Suite ($599)

If you have Reason, you can upgrade to the Suite for $249.  It comes with 16 extra rack extensions:

Scenic Hybrid Instrument (NEW)
Complex-1 Modular Synth
Umpf Club Drums
Umpf Retro Beats
Reason Electric Bass
Reason Drum Kits
Processed Pianos
Layers Wave Edition
Layers
Parsec Spectral Synthesizer
Radical Keys
Polar Dual Pitch Shifter
Rotor Rotary Speaker
PolyStep Sequencer
Quad Note Generator
Drum Sequencer

Edited by Tiger The Frog
  • Thanks 1

Apparently, I need a Reason to upgrade! 😁

Somewhere I have an old version (and I do mean old!), I'll have to see if I can find it for fun.  Hey, I DO have a 40" 4K monitor that's set up to be rotated into portrait mode!  Not enough screen real estate used to be my biggest complaint to playing with the software...

52 minutes ago, Tapsa Kuusniemi said:

This is actually a development that makes me interested in Reason. Always found the actual song making in it somewhat cumbersome, but to getting those rack instrument working in a different DAW would be very cool.

Totally agree. I have Reason 10 but hardly use it as it is such a pain to connect through rewire. Wasn't going to upgrade, but now I will. Game changer!

5 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Looks like they are dropping rewire completely too.

Not sure I'll upgrade my Reason 10.  I bought it because it was on sale.  I don't think I've used it at all though.  If the $129 upgrade isn't a special/limited time deal I'll wait.

Reason has always been $129 to upgrade from any version.  

But you can get an upgrade for $108.36 today from JRRShop with code GROUP.  So that is no doubt what it will cost on 9/25 to get 11.

If somebody--like me--hasn't upgraded in a while, then this price will get you Reason 10 right now, and there's a free upgrade to 11 on 9/25.

Of course, I have seen the Reason upgrade for $99 and of course that means really cheap at the discount stores,  as @Fleer pointed out. 

I'm learning anything with Suite in it becomes less of s value over time when upgrading.

The issue I have is with sample based REs.   The samples have to remain on your C drive and are located in the My Music folder.  While some do the the 'make link" thing the developers haven't figured out how do allow additional content to be moved elsewhere.  Only Reason is like this.

I think most advanced users probably have something that is superior in VST format than what is in Reason.

Buying REs are kinda pricey because the developers only gets half.   Any Kontakt library that is ported to RE is inferior. 

16 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I'm learning anything with Suite in it becomes less of s value over time when upgrading.

The issue I have is with sample based REs.   The samples have to remain on your C drive and are located in the My Music folder.  While some do the the 'make link" thing the developers haven't figured out how do allow additional content to be moved elsewhere.  Only Reason is like this.

I think most advanced users probably have something that is superior in VST format than what is in Reason.

Buying REs are kinda pricey because the developers only gets half.   Any Kontakt library that is ported to RE is inferior. 

Good points. Still digging Reason, but not likely upgrading for plugin use. Don’t like them changing from Propellerhead to Reason Studios either. Don’t even like the new logo. I guess the cat’s out of the bag with their founder gone and all. 

Still love those Balance interfaces though. 

31 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Good points. Still digging Reason, but not likely upgrading for plugin use. Don’t like them changing from Propellerhead to Reason Studios either. Don’t even like the new logo. I guess the cat’s out of the bag with their founder gone and all. 

Still love those Balance interfaces though. 

Those aren't supported anymore and people don't have the best luck with them.  One thing I've learned is never buy hardware from software developers.

My favorite app in Reason is Redrum. It's so easy to use. If it were a VST I'd be all over it.

BTW the same applies for Live's Suite.  They threw in an instrument or two, no updates on Sampler, orchestra sounds I think are from Sonivox which you can get cheap.  I doubt those REs would be disabled but if you don't upgrade Live's Suite you lose things.     

• 4 weeks later...

Reason 11 is now OFFICIALLY out:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/

For anyone interested.

Reason Intro works as a plugin also, so at €79 it might be worth  it for some w/o breaking the bank

COMPARE & prices - https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason/buy

Am I correct in saying REASON Intro as just the core software program itself is the exact same as Reason Full? The only diff between the two is the number of instruments, effects etc.

If so & with Reason ability to use all your 3rd party VSTs also then .. not much reason to go for the full version unless you particularly needed a reason instrument?

Edited by aidan o driscoll

I don't have it yet, but I did demo it.  

The thing that impressed me is that you can load the Reason effects in any of your virtual instruments.  There's some nice stuff in there. 

While it is not an issue in Reason Standalone, I was not able to do MIDI learn on the instruments in the plugin.  I really want to be able to control it with the knobs on my Komplete Kontrol.

Also I wasn't able to get the plugin to load in Komplete Kontrol or VE Pro.  Cubase was fine. 

Those of you who have purchased it, please let me know if you have these issues. 

Thanks!

Reason 11 is VST3 only.  So, as NI and VSL don't work with VST3, I'm just out of luck.   Reason 11 will not load in Komplete Kontrol.  No VE Pro either.
Only the most recent version of Ableton recognizes VST3. 

I really don't understand why NI won't work with VST3.  The standard came out in 2008 and apparently  Steinberg won't give people the kit for VST2 anymore.  If I understand correctly,  Props can't make a Reason 11 VST2 even if they want to. 

I want this, but it sucks.  If MIDI learn and Komplete Kontrol worked with the Reason plugin, I would buy today.

Edited by Tiger The Frog

7 minutes ago, Tiger The Frog said:

I really don't understand why NI won't work with VST3.  The standard came out in 2008 and apparently  Steinberg won't give people the kit for VST2 anymore.  If I understand correctly,  Props can't make a Reason 11 VST2 even if they want to. 

Any developer that signed the VST2 license agreement before last October can still make and publish VST2 plugins.  I did it, took almost no time and didn't cost anything.  Since Reason has support for VST2 they must have already executed the license agreement, long before the deadline.  They aren't doing a VST2 version by choice, not because there is some legal reason.

As for developers not supporting VST3, that's a whole other ball of wax, but it too comes down to choice.

1 hour ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Any developer that signed the VST2 license agreement before last October can still make and publish VST2 plugins.  I did it, took almost no time and didn't cost anything.  Since Reason has support for VST2 they must have already executed the license agreement, long before the deadline.  They aren't doing a VST2 version by choice, not because there is some legal reason.

As for developers not supporting VST3, that's a whole other ball of wax, but it too comes down to choice.

Thanks for the information.   I wonder why Propellerhead won't bring out a VST2 for Reason?

But did they sign the license agreement?   They did release Europa as a VST,  but this is the first time for Reason as a plugin.