ProChannel or 3rd party channel strips?

daveiv

Hello,

I have started using Cakewalk by BandLab recently, and I'm impressed with the intuitiveness of console and ProChannel. Since I'm also relatively new to mixing, I can't fairly gauge its sonic quality compared to other channel strip plugins.

Since plugins like iZotope Neutron, Eventide UltraChannel ($29 right now), several ones from Waves, EZMix 2 are on sale, I'd like to hear your thoughts about them and ProChannel.

More directly: Should I focus on ProChannel or invest on another plugin while learning how to mix my electronic/metal fusion songs?

Edited by daveiv
Reduce tags

There are few plug-in specifically written for the ProChannel and there has not been a new PC module created in some time.

Just like the FX Rack and any plug-in may be added to the ProChannel. When added to the ProChannel regular plug-ins are automatically hosted in FX chains.

It is possible to create a custom UI with up to 6 buttons and 6 knobs to control plug-in parameters in an FX chain, plug-in UIs may be opened from the FX chain and all plug-in parameters are available for automation.

The Pro channel modules are very effective and cover basic channel strip functions quite well. I just finished a 50 track mix and used probably 80% pro channels modules on the tracks. I have a UAD system as well and used a few specialty plugs on busses mostly. If there are other characteristics from third party plugs that sound good or make workflow easier then it's worth getting extra plugs - especially if you can get them on sale.

I find that the Gliss EQ and PC-76U compressors works for about 90% of all track strip requirements. I add the tube saturator on bass quite a bit.

For what it's worth - I have over 700 plugs and most are used as specialty charactor plugs unless there is something I just can't get out of Pro-Channel.

Much is personal preference, but the advantage of 3rd party (especially the ones that will internally chain and save the preset) can be used in any DAW. Not that the chains are better, but portability options are if you have that scenario.

Edited by mettelus