Sonitus Preset Manager requires "Run as Admin" to save?

Colin Nicholls

Is this a known issue? I was opening an older project and saving my Sonitus FX settings into new presets, in new banks.

When I opened a new project and inserted the FX to select the new presets, they weren't there!

Workaround:
In order to truly create a persistent new preset, I had to run Cakewalk "as administrator".

After creating the presets (again) following the same process, I then exited Cakewalk and then re-ran it, normally. This time, I could see the new presets in the Sonitus Preset manager

This is probably due to Sonitus storing the presets in an INI file somewhere where a normal user doesn't have permission? Maybe? But then, I'd expect an error when I tried to save the preset in the first place, I think.

Anyone have any insight to share on this?

Update:
I have confirmed that the new preset data was written to:

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Plugins\FxEqualizerDX.ini
      C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Plugins\FxDelayDX.ini

So, yeah, I guess it makes sense this would require elevated Admin privileges.

Edited by Colin Nicholls
added location of saved preset INI files

There is a way of turning off UAC on  a per application basis, which would remove the need to run CbB as admin.

I try to avoid running CbB as admin, as you lose the ability to drag/drop from other apps and Windows explorer.

Here's an old post of mine regarding this:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Tip-Turning-off-UAC-on-a-perapplication-basis-m3797461.aspx

I had problems saving Sonitus plug ins presets myself, as a work around I choose to make FX chain presets instead.

Its almost the same clicks as adding the plug in, and changing the preset. You simply set up the plug in the way you want it, save it as an FX chain preset. Then load it/extract it. Done.

5 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

I've never used FX chain presets; just haven't had the need before

The name suggests multiple FX in a chain, But I use it for single plug in usage of Sonitus plug ins. (meaning one plug in/not multiple).

It saves not just the preset itself but in some cases, preset input/output, exc.

Good luck and let us know if you find it more useful than using the presets which are stored in the registry.