Debug PGL file

Max Arwood

Is there any way to debug a PGL file?  There are glitches in mine.  Some synths are not showing up.  Also is the instrument file separate? I see many of my VST plugins in the VSTIi synth/instrument section.  I have made a small new one just test - it is just fine.  I have spent a ton of time sorting and arranging the old versions.  So much that I make 3 copies every time there is a change. I would hate to have to start over. The count is about 400. I guess that is a medium amount?

Thanks for any help.

Max Arwood

If the layouts predate SONAR Platinum, it may be better/faster to build fresh files.

A combination of the plug-in browser and plug-in manager works pretty well.

Start by using the default "Sort by Category" layout then modify the layout to suit keep in mind these folders and their content represent the lowest folders in the final layout tree. Once all named properly and places in the correct folders, organize the folders using the plug-in manager. The plug-in manager is needed only to nest folders otherwise everything is possible with the plug-in browser and the "Sort by Category" layout. The help for the plug-in browser layout edits starts around here. Once this is done, maintenance depends on whether folders are nested or not. Nested folders used the plug-in manager otherwise use the plug-in browser set to "Sort by Category."

This does not address the FXs plug-in in the synth list. The only time I have seen this was when the plug-ins were manually changed from effects to synths in their plug-in properties. Starting with X3, this is not necessary the MIDI I/O properties for plug-ins is now on the plug-in standard header. For any FX plug-in currently residing in the synth Sort by Category layout, double check the plug-in properties and make sure the plug-in is not configured as a synth. Probably want to do this before building the custom effects and synth layouts.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

OK - what would be a good editor (free)? Is Microsoft  XML notepad ok?

After your post, I found MS XML Notepad.  I was responding to the "one long string of data!" comment.  I would not edit the file directly; for me the XML Editor is just a way to make sense of the file--to see what's there.  I would follow scook's excellent advice.