What were your favorite recent deals?

Reid Rosefelt

5 hours ago, Sander Verstraten said:

I might be tempted to switch interfaces. 

For guitar and bass players, I can highly recommend IK's Axe I/O. I've had it for a few months and extremely pleased with it. It was always a struggle to get a nice 'phat' tone with my Focusrite 2i4 and now, it's a pleasure to play my guitar through the DAW.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mesh said:

For guitar and bass players, I can highly recommend IK's Axe I/O. I've had it for a few months and extremely pleased with it. It was always a struggle to get a nice 'phat' tone with my Focusrite 2i4 and now, it's a pleasure to play my guitar through the DAW.

I need to ask you a VERY serious question (maybe it's not that serious to you, but...): Is the difference like night and day? Are u REALLY EXTREMELY happy with it?
Like "omg, I will never part ways with it"? How long have you been playing guitar? I ask all of these questions to see if I pull the trigger on it.

3 minutes ago, Carlos said:

I need to ask you a VERY serious question (maybe it's not that serious to you, but...): Is the difference like night and day? Are u REALLY EXTREMELY happy with it?
Like "omg, I will never part ways with it"? How long have you been playing guitar? I ask all of these questions to see if I pull the trigger on it.

Hi Carlos,

What I've noticed when using the Axe is I have much more tone control (before using an amp sim) than when using the usual audio interfaces (which are thin sounding). The Axe was "fuller" in tone and once you put it through an amp sim, it was 'almost" like playing through a real amp. So yeah, I'm EXTREMELY happy with it.

Of course, there are much better products out there (i.e. Fractal Audio's Axe Fx, Kemper etc..), but at a heavy cost. If I had the money, I'd get the Fractal' Axe FX ;) .  I've been playing guitar for about 30 years and still suck at it, but I truly love playing the guitar. 

Best is to go to a music store and check it out before buying....your ears will be the final judge.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mesh said:

Hi Carlos,

What I've noticed when using the Axe is I have much more tone control (before using an amp sim) than when using the usual audio interfaces (which are thin sounding). The Axe was "fuller" in tone and once you put it through an amp sim, it was 'almost" like playing through a real amp. So yeah, I'm EXTREMELY happy with it.

Of course, there are much better products out there (i.e. Fractal Audio's Axe Fx, Kemper etc..), but at a heavy cost. If I had the money, I'd get the Fractal' Axe FX ;) .  I've been playing guitar for about 30 years and still suck at it, but I truly love playing the guitar. 

Best is to go to a music store and check it out before buying....your ears will be the final judge.  

Thanks mate for taking the time writing that down for me ;) Fractal it is then, haha.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carlos said:

The real question is if "in the box" amp simulation works for you.

If the answer is yes, then it offers a bump in experience and quality for that specific funtion.

As for me,  Amplitude just isn't a good enough experience, marginal improvements don't get it there.  Price in my book is too steap for what it provides if you have an interface already, from my perspective.  

I ordered a Native Instruments Maschine Mikro MK3 from Guitar Center from and then called in my order.  I then receive a discount that wasn't suppose to work online but they gave me the discount anyway.  My total priced dropped down from $259. 00 to $221.00  and there was no tax because I picked it up from the state of Delaware, which is 15 minutes from me in PA.

2 days later  Native Instruments raised the price of the  Maschine Mikro MK3 to $269.00.

I am Glad I purchased it when I did.

Edited by jesse g
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Melda. I bought the everything package on sale.

In part, I decided learning one plugin set was easier. I also had the cash. For years I've had their mastering bundle. They gave me a further discount for the plugins i already own.

Honestly, i didn't know they had a drum synth [pretty fun]. They also gave a synth synth that sounds cool.

Really, I've been starting slowly getting into them all. So many creative choices.

Edited by Gswitz
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Carlos said:

I got Ezdrummer 2 and 22 EZX expansions for 350. Should I crossgrade to SD3 for just 220?

Should you crossgrade?  Yes...but wait for a sale to do so.
EZDrummer works fine, and you should be in no hurry
to make the leap...but it IS a leap!

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 2:10 PM, Terence O'Shea said:

I picked up a refurbished 2nd generation Focusrite 18i8 with two year warranty and full software bundle from Focusrite direct for £149 with academic discount. I love the way the mixer remembers its settings even when it is off, so you can use it as a mixer even when not connected to a computer. I also found a USB powered SPDIF to dual RCA and 3.5mm jack converter (which also supports 96k) which gives me an additional two outputs for £5. I registered with another email address, so got another Addictive Keys, etc. Very pleased.

I had to sell my 2nd gen. Scarlett 18i20. Despite the looks, these are not well built. One of the headphone pots became scratchy. Some of my older external gear didn't work well over S/PDIF (never had this kind of problems with my Orpheus).  They boast low latency, but it's not that great at low settings... a lot of pops. The inputs were too noisy for my taste. I guess these are OK if all you use is a DAW and software synths. Since I no longer work with external gear (too many great software instruments), I got the RME Babyface Pro. This little interface is SOLID!

1 hour ago, cclarry said:

Should you crossgrade?  Yes...but wait for a sale to do so.
EZDrummer works fine, and you should be in no hurry
to make the leap...but it IS a leap!

Oh wow, thanks so much cclarry, do you remember when on sale the crossgrade price? Ballpark? Is it at the end of the year? Or so? Thanks :)

53 minutes ago, John Bohlen said:

I had to sell my 2nd gen. Scarlett 18i20. Despite the looks, these are not well built. One of the headphone pots became scratchy. Some of my older external gear didn't work well over S/PDIF (never had this kind of problems with my Orpheus).  They boast low latency, but it's not that great at low settings... a lot of pops. The inputs were too noisy for my taste. I guess these are OK if all you use is a DAW and software synths. Since I no longer work with external gear (too many great software instruments), I got the RME Babyface Pro. This little interface is SOLID!

I bought the 2i2 Scarlett 1st gen... never again I will buy anything Focusrite again... ever never :P

1 minute ago, Carlos said:

Oh wow, thanks so much cclarry, do you remember when on sale the crossgrade price? Ballpark? Is it at the end of the year? Or so? Thanks :)

It usually hits half off around Black Friday....so just keep your eyes on the forum...
When it happens it WILL be posted!

23 minutes ago, Carlos said:

I bought the 2i2 Scarlett 1st gen... never again I will buy anything Focusrite again... ever never :P

Well, looking at the software I have received for zilch since owning a Focusrite interface...

1. Addictive Keys
  2. Ujam Iron
  3. Ableton Live Lite
  4. Scarlett Plugin Suite
  5. Novation Bass Station
  6. Red Plugin Suite
  7. Softube Time and Tone (TSAR-1R Reverb, Tube Delay, Drawmer S73)
  8. Audiority
  9. Venomode DeeQ, Maximal 2 and Pivot
  10. Sonarworks for six months
  11. Mastering the Mix
  12. BIAS AMP 2 LE
  13. Exponential Audio R2 Reverb
  14. Flux Studio Session Analyzer
  15. D16 Syntorus
  16. BIAS FX LE 2
  17. NUGEN Audio Stereoizer Elements
  18. vielklang LE
  19. Accusonus Regroover Essential
  20. AAS Session bundle
  21. AudioThing Valve Filter, Valve Exciter and SR-88
  22. SoundRadix SurferEQ 2 Boogie
  23. D16 Sigmund Delay
  24. Eventide EQuivocate
  25. 2 x AAS Sound Packs

I bought the 2i4 for £90 and sold it for £70. So, for two years of use and all this software, it cost me £20. And I will get still more software.

Why the hate for Focusrite?

• Like 1