SI-Drum Kit Insert Soft Synth Options dialog does not appear

Mike Slinn

Laptop #1

1. Start Cakewalk on an empty project
  2. Select menu Insert / Soft Synth / SI Drumkit
  3. Insert Soft Synth Options dialog appears. A new track is made. Life is good.

image.png

Laptop #2

1. Start Cakewalk on an empty project
  2. Select menu Insert / Soft Synth / SI Drumkit
  3. Nothing happens. No dialog. No new track.

Why? I deinstalled Cakewalk and the instruments on laptop #2, but after reinstalling the problem was unchanged. Is there a global parameter somewhere that needs jiggling? No other SI instrument on laptop #2 has this problem; all of the others show the Insert Soft Synth Options dialog.

I edited the Cakewalk project with laptop #1 and added the SI Drums soft synth with these options:

image.png.d47e042d4314e49fa8bd29d7aa10284c.png 

2 tracks were created, as expected:

image.png.3437b1afe14756f2458616ddbda17a6d.png

I saved the project and opened it with laptop #2. The new tracks appeared and worked.

The original problem remains. I don't want to have to use laptop #1 every time I need to add drums to a project.

Thanks,
Mike

Edited by Mike Slinn

• 3 weeks later...

You may need to completely wipe the options and settings that persists after an uninstallation. I had to do something like this a while back for an unrelated reason, these are the instructions I was given back then, it may be relevant here

To completely remove Cakewalk by BandLab from your computer and reinstall it, follow the steps below.

Please note that this will remove any effects presets and key bindings you may have made in Cakewalk by BandLab. You can back these up separately if you like, using Utilities menu > Cakewalk Plug-in Manager, Edit > Preferences > Customization – Keyboard Shortcuts and Edit > Preferences > Customization – Colors.

1) Uninstall Cakewalk by BandLab. This is normally done within the BandLab Assistant app. Go to BandLab Assistant > Apps > Cakewalk by BandLab, click on the arrow on the right side of the tab and select Uninstall. This will not remove any of your plug-ins, project files or audio data.

2) After the uninstallation completes, open the Run Prompt. In Windows 7, 8, and 10, open the Run Prompt by holding down the “Windows” key and pressing “R” on the keyboard.

3) At the Prompt, type regedit and click [OK].

4) Click [Yes] if asked to allow the program to make changes to your computer.

Important: When you access the Registry Editor, create a backup by going to File > Export. In the Export Registry File window that comes up, make sure “Export range” is set to “All” and that “Save as type” is set to “Registration Files (*.reg)”. It is very important to create a backup of your registry because if you accidentally delete a registry key there is no undo function. You can, however, double-click on the Registry backup you made above to re-import your registry keys if you make any mistakes. You must re-import your backup (if needed) before restarting your computer.

5) Delete the following Registry keys: If you do not have one of the Registry keys below, simply proceed to the next one on the list.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\ Core
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\ Core HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\ Core

6) Open the Run Prompt again.

7) Copy and paste %appdata%\Cakewalk into the prompt and click [OK]. On Windows 7, 8, and 10, the “AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk” folder will open.

😎 Right-click on the Cakewalk Core folder and choose “Delete.”

9) Delete the contents of the following directory: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

10) At this point, you can reinstall Cakewalk by BandLab from BandLab Assistant. Be sure to use the latest version of BandLab Assistant by clicking the gear at the top left and choose Check for Updates, then go to Apps > Cakewalk by BandLab, and click [Install].

• 2 years later...

Respectfully, I find it completely unacceptable to have to REINSTALL WINDOWS in order to get SI Drums to work?!? I have a new Dell laptop and I've installed/uninstalled/reinstalled Cakewalk 3 times now trying to get SI drums to work. I have SI-Drum kit track but when I drop my Session Drummer midi information on it, it doesn't play them. Anyone know what might fix this? Thanks. 

Ideally, I'd like Session Drummer back, since all my songs were created with SD. Anyone know how to get Session Drummer for Cakewalk from Bandlab? Thanks. 

BandLab does not offer Session Drummer.

If you had Session Drummer it came with a Cakewalk product.

For X3 and older run the advanced install for 64bit SONAR and select the plug-ins to install.

For best results with 64bit SONAR Professional/Platinum uninstall CbB then perform a complete install using the Cakewalk Command Center then re-install CbB.

• Like 2

Just now, scook said:

BandLab does not offer Session Drummer.

If you had Session Drummer it came with a Cakewalk product.

For X3 and older run the advanced install for 64bit SONAR and select the plug-ins to install.

For best results with 64bit SONAR Professional/Platinum uninstall CbB then perform a complete install using the Cakewalk Command Center then re-install CbB.

Thanks, but I am not interested in running SONAR Platinum now that there is no tech support. I'm a simple guy and running Cakewalk from Bandlab has been working for me up until now. Just got a new PC and a new laptop and no freaking drums are working. AAAAARGH!!

20 hours ago, scook said:

Maybe there is some bad data in the clips and "Do not intercept NRPNs" was enabled in Session Drummer.

The Studio Instruments have the same issue with unexpected MIDI data.

Thanks so much scook! SI Drums are working now!