Who's missed me?

David Sprouse

Hi David,

First of all I like the tune.  It reminds me of songs I've listened to in the past.  I don't like the ending.  The ending just stops in mid note.

When I'm listening to a classic easy listening instrumental, Henry Mancini for example, I want to hear the soundstage and how the musicians are assembled in the soundstage.  If you watch a big band performance like the Lawrence Welk show (it's on every Saturday evening on my local PBS station) you can visualize how the band is assembled onstage.  That's also what you hear on the later stereo episodes.  That's what I mentally visualize when I listen to an audio recording of a big band performance. 

I can't form a mental image listening to your mix.  The instruments are panned left and right and there is no center.  All the reverbs are different and there is no overall "sound" blending instruments together.  While listening I can't tell how big the stage is or if it's in a room or a hall.

I think if you visualize a soundstage and use panning and volume level to place each instrument on the soundstage the horn swells will work.

I hope you will continue to work on the song as I'm looking forward to listening to the results.

David
I like it. The horns at the beginning bring up a picture to me of a busy major city street.
Reminds me of 70s cop shows with the jazzy background music.  Doing jazz isn't easy and I think you did a great job with the composition.
Might be too episodic at this point but I'm guessing it's more a work in progress.

On 8/25/2019 at 6:03 AM, David Sprouse said:

This is what I'm working on.  I can't quite get the swells on the horns right.

https://davidsprouse.bandcamp.com/track/european-cafe

I've missed you David 🙂

Jazz is a brave genre - especially the timing - I can never get it right so kudos to you for trying this; there's definitely a basis for something here. More craft on the ending for sure (one of those spiralling sax descant licks that tails off springs to mind).

Looking forward to more.

Andy

On 8/27/2019 at 10:28 AM, bjornpdx said:

David
I like it. The horns at the beginning bring up a picture to me of a busy major city street.
Reminds me of 70s cop shows with the jazzy background music.  Doing jazz isn't easy and I think you did a great job with the composition.
Might be too episodic at this point but I'm guessing it's more a work in progress.

Absolutely cool, keep working.