I'm Looking For A Special Kick Drum Plugin

Jim Fogle

A few weeks ago I "found" a plugin I liked but I didn't download it because I didn't want to get side tracked from what I was doing at the time.  Now I can't find it.

The free plug-in takes an existing kick drum sound and enhances it to make the kick drum sound massive.  I think it's sort of like a kick drum style dial since I don't remember it having a lot of user controls or much of a GUI interface.  It's pretty much a one trick pony but it performs it's one trick very well.

If anyone knows of an effect like that please share a link here.

@HIBI

Thanks for your help.  Unfortunately, I don't believe that's the one I'm looking for.  I did download the sub kick plug in though as I was not aware of it and it does maybe 70 percent of what I'm hoping for.

The Waves Factory sub kick plugin adds low end.  But I remember additional effects integrated into the effect.  I think in addition to low end the effect added delay or reverb based on the DAW tempo setting and the intensity of the knob setting.

Again, thanks for the link and the assistance.  Both are much appreciated.

• Like 1

There was this great FX Chain Preset from Cakewalk Platinum days created by Craig Anderton called "KickMaster.fxc"

It was a freebee as part of the "Anderton Collection" . . . if you go back that far, you may have it on your system ?

I still use this on most of my projects. It is excellent for dialing in an acoustic kick drum to suit a mix.

• Thanks 1

I know you said "free," but what you're talking about sounds  kind of like Sasquatch Kick Machine.

Do you remember whether it was just  tone shaping or did it also trigger a sub?

SoundSpot Kickbox is a great kick drumEQ and compression plug-in which is often in deep discount at Pluginboutique.

In the freebie zone, there are  bx subfilter, Combear and Bark of Dog, which is up to version 2, past the version that used to ship with SONAR Platinum.

• Thanks 1

Did you say waves plugin - 

Rbass - Overtones of the sound input - Boost low without the volume or taking space from mix.

Low Air - 1 octave down

Submarine - 1&2 octaves down

Any Vintage Compressor - CLA3a (Always recommended on Gearsluts), Pie (My 2 favorite -They accentuate harmonics)

CLA Bass - Works well on Kick

You were kiddingabout waves right? LOL

808 type synths

Free - Bass professor MK II (Written for Bass Guitar - Works great on Kick) - Try it on bass too - Lot of controls

Kick 2 VST is nice

Max Arwood

• Thanks 1

On 8/25/2019 at 6:40 PM, noynekker said:

There was this great FX Chain Preset from Cakewalk Platinum days created by Craig Anderton called "KickMaster.fxc"

It was a freebee as part of the "Anderton Collection" . . . if you go back that far, you may have it on your system ?

I still use this on most of my projects. It is excellent for dialing in an acoustic kick drum to suit a mix.

@noynekker

Thank you for your suggestion however I don't have the historical assets.  My history is Music Creator and Sonar Home Studio.   Good idea though.

@Max Arwood

Thanks for your suggestions.  I need to stick with free for now.  I looked at most of the ones you suggested and downloaded Bass professor MK II.  It's not what I'm looking for but looks interesting.

@scook

Yep, I've been searching on my own using Google, Bing and others.  It's out there, I just have to find it again.  Thanks for the suggestion.

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

Just curious....... Did you find it?

Max Arwood

@Max Arwood   Nope!  Not so far.  Luckily I don't have a specific need at the moment, it's more just "buyer's regret" for not getting it when I saw it.

As I remember the demonstration video was amazing.  Of course demo videos normally are.  The video started with continually repeating the thinnest  sounding, wimpy, one measure kick drum loop you can imagine.   Then the effect was enabled with the knob set at zero.  As the loop repeated the knob was slowly raised and the sound slowly changed to the mightiest kick drum sound ever heard.  Meanwhile the voice-over is stating how the effect signal chain has multiple effects embedded that work together in a cohesive manner to allow one knob control.

I bookmark webpages I want to return to but the bookmark was lost when my browser crashed later on.

3 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

where's the trade-off line between looking for a "do it all" plugin versus just figuring it out with the plugins you already have?

The trade-off is skill and knowledge versus consistent, successful outcomes.  The best way to keep a beginner engaged is to have products that consistently deliver successful results.

That's why products like ToonTrack's EZMix2 and Izotope's Neutron 3 are successful.  They build in skill and knowledge by combining multiple effects into a signal chain that achieve labeled desirable outcomes.  Users obtain pleasant sounding outcomes without spending years of apprenticeship with live sound or in a recording studio or time and money on a college level education.

Many people just enjoy playing with sound as a hobby. and it's not a business or even a sideline.

In my case I can guess , experiment and learn by chance how to achieve the sounds this effect can create or I can use the effect if I can find it.

Edited by Jim Fogle