Eva Cassidy?

Will

Anybody remember Eva Cassidy? I was just watching this video by her. Hadn't thought of her in a long while. Released her first album at 29 and died of cancer at 33. She would have been one of the great ones in my opinion had she lived. Hard to believe she's been gone more than 30 years already.

• Like 3

One of the best Will! Such emotion conveyed in her voice it sends shivers down your spine. Also an exquisite acoustic guitarist. Songbird was my first album of hers closely followed by anything I could lay my hands on. I discovered her after she had died and I can remember reading her story and feeling depressed that there would be no new material to look forward to. That said there is plenty to enjoy and they even released a special remastered edition of Songbird last year with extra tracks. 

• Like 1

For some reason she was, and still is, better known in the UK than in America, even though she was American. And yes, she was a real fine fingerpicker too. No one ever talks about her guitar playing, so I'm happy you brought that up.

• Like 1

Thanks for the post Will, have to agree with ZincT. She will always be one of the best here in the UK, most probably because the great Terry Wogan  played her stuff posthumously on his radio show which had a large audience and she became famous ... her death was a shock to me when I found out  as I also had been listening to her but never realized her fate ...so very sad  :(

I would imagine you had a tear while watching her on the tube, she was one of the all 'round greats !!

On 1/11/2019 at 10:00 AM, ZincT said:

One of the best Will! Such emotion conveyed in her voice it sends shivers down your spine. Also an exquisite acoustic guitarist. Songbird was my first album of hers closely followed by anything I could lay my hands on. I discovered her after she had died and I can remember reading her story and feeling depressed that there would be no new material to look forward to. That said there is plenty to enjoy and they even released a special remastered edition of Songbird last year with extra tracks. 

Edited by SPAK
Forgot to add
  • Like 1

Fist time I saw Clapton I was thinking there was no way this guy is gonna live up to all the hype I have heard and read about him.

When he played 'Wonderful Tonight' the hair on the back of my neck was standing on end. I leaned over about halfway through the song and told my wife about the hair on my neck, she turned and looked at me with a surprised look and said, "Mine too!"

Never felt that before in my life. Nor since.

• Like 2