Homemade Backing Tracks

bayoubill

Addictive drums 2 plus a midi bass line which you should play both IMHO

then shell voicing of 3rd and 7th only  no root with keyboard  (if you use midi you can transpose to the other keys for practice) 

set up as a vamp or short progression like a  ii7 - V7 ( I usually don't resove cuz I'm working phrases licks riffs etc

that's basic rhythm bass and chord harmony  

It's easier the hear the extensions and color tones that way and the specific sounds you can get

notice on the shell voicing  that the intervals when inverted are 4th and 5ths 

This can help you on so many levels so please give it a try

Edited by bayoubill
  • Like 2

Hey Bill, don't forget to look for walking lines between the changes. Those can help it groove a little and also distinguish the A parts from each other in AABA patterns.

By this i mean look for cases where you can walk a III of one chord to a VII of another for example... Either up or down... Chromatic is always a choice too.

On 8/23/2019 at 2:29 PM, bayoubill said:

Addictive drums 2 plus a midi bass line which you should play both IMHO

then shell voicing of 3rd and 7th only  no root with keyboard  (if you use midi you can transpose to the other keys for practice) 

set up as a vamp or short progression like a  ii7 - V7 ( I usually don't resove cuz I'm working phrases licks riffs etc

that's basic rhythm bass and chord harmony  

It's easier the hear the extensions and color tones that way and the specific sounds you can get

notice on the shell voicing  that the intervals when inverted are 4th and 5ths 

This can help you on so many levels so please give it a try

BIAB

(Bayoubil-in-a-Box)

3 hours ago, Gswitz said:

Hey Bill, don't forget to look for walking lines between the changes. Those can help it groove a little and also distinguish the A parts from each other in AABA patterns.

By this i mean look for cases where you can walk a III of one chord to a VII of another for example... Either up or down... Chromatic is always a choice too.

I used to play  tunes from Joe Pass' Virtuoso LP's on my Solo guitar gigs. I did at lease 3 a week from 77' - 94. Been doing walking bass for decades. I've also played many duets with other guitarist where one takes the melody while the other comps walking bass and harmony.  I have an Ibanez GB 100 that sounds wonderful doing tunes like that

Edited by bayoubill
  • Like 1

You are at another level from me. I feel silly for having chimed in. I love playing jazz tunes but I am mostly terrible. I've been working on God Bless the Child most recently. I usually get distracted and just noodle for hours. 🙂

I have a 'How to learn keyboard' program from a million years ago that's awesome and teaches shells. I'd never heard of them before I started using that app. It makes a ton of sense to divide the 1+5 to the left hand and the 3+7 to the right on a keyboard.

I find it hard to be so organized on the guitar. 

Gswitz ,

Don't feel silly. The walking bass line was something I didn't mention. Right there you benefited a reader and me.

Info is for everyone whether they play a lot or occasionally 

I have forgotten way more than I can remember and live in a constant state of review

I have to keep reminding myself of Am 

Using  info from the Freds will definitely help in learn something anyone can use

The one thing I can suggest is playing only the melody of God Bless the Child for your entire practice session

Don't play chords at all! Just start with the simple melody. Sing or hum it several times first.  Play the simple melody over and over

When you can do it without having to think about it start improvising the way you play it. Strive to phase  it differently each time

Record what you play on your DAW and listen Just the melody

doing that kind of thing puts your playing at another level from what you normally would have been

• Like 2

I make all my own backing tracks for my duo http://www.s-cats.com

I've been asked so many times in the Band-in-a-Box forum, that I made my own instruction and information page. Feel free to use whatever you like.

http://www.nortonmusic.com/backing_tracks.html

I still use Master Tracks Pro because MIDI is easier there than in Cakewalk. Cakewalk does audio though and MTPro does not.

Insights and incites by Notes

I'm retired from playing in public so everything I do playing wise is in my DAW room with Sonar or Cakewalk

I usually make a backing track for the next days practice session whatever the subject is I'm working on. I love doing it. FUN!

Tomorrow is ;