My Cakewalk freezes when I try to open a file

Veets

Hi,

I submitted a ticket but just curious if anyone is experiencing issues where you try to open a Cakewalk file and your Cakewalk freezes and then reboots?  I am using Windows 10, and a window pops up that says something along the lines that something went wrong and the system will reboot. I was able to open files before the latest update but I ran the recent update and am now not able to open files.

Thanks.

Edited by Veets
to clarify

Hi,

Sorry to trouble everyone. I did some checking because it bothered me that Cakewalk by Bandlab was freezing up when I opened a file on a song I recorded. At first I thought it was the last update but then I realized that Microsoft also ran updates as well. When I checked the Audi device drivers, instead of Roland Quad Capture being selected, Creative was selected.   I had disabled Creative in Windows 10 but I can't remove the card because it is integrated onto the motherboard.  I guess when the windows updates run, it still sees the card and defaults the drivers to Creative.  Anyway, I switched it back to Roland and now the files open without any issue.  Again, my apologies for not checking that first.

If you don't need the onboard soundcard at all, then you should be able to completely disable it from the BIOS settings. This is a pretty basic option available in most BIOS options regardless of manufacturer. Many sources recommend to do this for serious audio work, just as you should disable onboard graphics when using an add-on graphics card. Disabling these options in BIOS could free up system resources and prevent inadvertent reassignment by the OS even after updates. 

I had actually did that a few years ago. It's almost as if Windows 10 sees the integrated card and whenever Microsoft releases updates, it reverst to the Creative.  I will have to check it again.  Thanks so much,