It Ain't Broke, So Should I Fix It?

Johnbee58

I got an email today from Focusrite telling me that they made a software driver update for my Scarlett 6i6 interface and encouraged me to download it and install it.  I don't think I want to do that.  Why?  Because the interface is working fine and I don't want to take a chance at making trouble.  I'm a firm believer in the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"  It's very kind of Focusrite to offer this to fix any bugs (and they say those are too numerous to list), but I'm not experiencing any difficulty and I'm afraid that I might if I do the update.  What say you? Should I bite the bullet, hold my breath and do the update, or just let everything alone?

Thanks for your feedback.

🙂John B

I would not.

At least not until I'd done some research. The manufacturer isn't going to waste time and money twiddling with a piece of software that isn't broken.

There exists, somewhere, a change log that'll tell you what they've fixed. Find that, and then see if any of those changes affect you. If it says "makes a funny noise at noon on Tuesdays under Fruity Loops", I'd pass.

Hey John,

Got friends still working on win XP and ancient 32 bit plugs but cranking out incredible sounds. Rationale is it works so why break it.  And there is a certain level of wisdom in this.

Idea is that if inspiration and native hard on rush of creativity is in working order, there ain't nothing that an arsenal of plugs or increased efficiency on paper numbers for the Focusrite can help with. Look at what the ancient rock n' roll masters had to deal with and what they did before we came onto the scene with technology options that were not even in their dreams.

Might create an image or restore point first, and then install the thing and see if this leads to the Holy Grail or maybe a bit better digital life. Can always reverse the decision if it don't work. In general, I try to update when a new driver version is available, but have been sent to the brimstone pit when the latest and greatest have brought my local system down.

Focusrite 1818 user something here as well. Works solid and fills the local needs. Will probably update if they got something new, but not counting on the update to open the creative clouds of glory like they all claim. Have done the upgrades on firmware, and likely a good thing over time. Problem is that I see a GUI change, but nothing that has the slightest perk in stability or speed or increase in my creativity. Too dense here to read the small print while others are actually creating a sound with what they got. One opinion, grab the latest update. Other opinion, if it is working toward your needs, why fork with it for now until something breaks with a windows update.

John

Heh, my old DAW server is still running Windows XP and Sonar Producer 4.  When I can afford to do things right, THEN I'll update!

I just got it out of storage a couple of weeks ago, because it still has a 3.5" floppy drive and I've got some old, historical, commodity data that I need to get off some disks!

Edited by craigb

On 8/22/2019 at 7:00 PM, bitflipper said:

I would not.

At least not until I'd done some research. The manufacturer isn't going to waste time and money twiddling with a piece of software that isn't broken.

There exists, somewhere, a change log that'll tell you what they've fixed. Find that, and then see if any of those changes affect you. If it says "makes a funny noise at noon on Tuesdays under Fruity Loops", I'd pass.

https://customer.focusrite.com/sites/customer/files/downloads/Focusrite Control 3.2.1 Release Notes - Windows.pdf