Bronxio

How to automate enabling/disabling FX

Question

Hi,

I would like to automate enabling and disabling a VST FX that hasn't bypass in its own interface. How could I do this?

Thanks in advance.

4 answers to this question

One way I can think of is set up a bus (or an AUX track) with the given effect on it.  Then, for the track that you want to effect on, automate the send level to that bus (which has the actual effect.  I say to adjust the send level rather than simply disabling the VST is because disabling the VST would cause an abrupt silencing of a reverb tail for example.

Others may have other methods.

• Great Idea 1

18 minutes ago, Bronxio said:

Thank you, Promidi! The problem is, in my case, I would need to switch between dry 100% / wet 0%  and dry 0% / wet 100%. It's ok to be abrupt, there's a silence in the middle.

In that case, you could automate the bus level (where the effect is) rather than the send level of the track.

That being said, most effects do have a wet level control that could also be automated.

• Like 1

Thank you, Promidi! The problem is, in my case, I would need to switch between dry 100% / wet 0%  and dry 0% / wet 100%. It's ok to be abrupt, there's a silence in the middle.

Oh, yes; I could control the wet and dry level (sepparated). I think it's the easiest way then. Thanks! 👍