Feedback on a new DAW build

hockeyjx

The time is coming to build a new DAW! I'm starting to spec out what I want, and would appreciate feedback from those who have recently built one.  Thanks in advance folks!

Here are a few thoughts on what I want:

Silence is paramount, so I'm probably going water cooled this time. Also a silent power supply.
Not sure if I want to go rackmount or traditional tower, but really don't want or need a fancy case. I have a soundproofed case (Corsair I believe), and I may use that.
I am going to get a 500GB NVMe OS drive with in the ballpark of  Sequential IO: 3,470/3,000MB/s  (that is the WD Black spec, but Samsung is in the mix). Depending on the board, I may get 2 SSDs or a 1TB NVMe for storage.
WIN10 Pro
The Board???? I have never have had a problem with ASUS, but am open to suggestions. It doesn't have to be THE latest, but close. I may do video editing at some point, but would disable the card for audio.
Processor: Current best mix of of price and performance. Never came near maxxing out a CPU in recent years. Intel only.
Memory: I am thinking 64GB to start, and expandable to 128GB from the board.
What am I missing?

Again, any advice is appreciated!

Edited by hockeyjx

"What am I missing?"

A processor ?  Everything sounds pretty incredible - 64 gb  going to 128 gb memory ?  I can't really fathom that, I've never pushed my 12 gb over the hill. Sounds like you could run a good sized orchestral rig with lots of bells and whistles. What kind of music ?

4 hours ago, RBH said:

..64 gb  going to 128 gb memory ?  I can't really fathom that, I've never pushed my 12 gb over the hill...

Me neither, except on one occasion while when doing some video rendering. I have 16GB, which is more than adequate for sound production, but if I was planning to do more video work I would probably upgrade to 32GB. The OP did mention video editing, so that may be relevant here.

18 hours ago, RBH said:

"What am I missing?"

A processor ?  Everything sounds pretty incredible - 64 gb  going to 128 gb memory ?  I can't really fathom that, I've never pushed my 12 gb over the hill. Sounds like you could run a good sized orchestral rig with lots of bells and whistles. What kind of music ?"

That's what I wanted feedback on. I will get an Intel I9, but I was polling out to see the best performance/price point.

As mentioned, this will be an everything box, so I'd like it to be robust. But I will use more Virtual Instruments musically for sure :)

Edited by hockeyjx

5 hours ago, W.j said:

I would say the best performance for price would be AMD ryzen at the moment. 

I would like to know if anyone else has had any experience with the new ryzen 9 3900x?

I think the issue with AMD/Ryzen is that some plugins don’t work well. Benchmark performance on the top of the Ryzen line is definitely blazing though.

I've built 2 systems over the years with AMD, and each time I regretted it. I know the Bakers work with Intel, and I've had better performance/longevity with the them. So I'm not rocking the boat on that part of the equation.

Just not sure which I9 to go with.

Water cooling comes with fans too and often they are small. I'm using a Noctua  nh d15 and can warmly recommend it if you want a silent system and if your case allows it (it's huge).  It keeps my CPU below 50C when running Cakewalk.

I had a silent power supply (Corsair) which died in a year due to insufficient cooling (semi passive).  So now I have a Seasonic which is very silent but keeps the fans running at all times.

As far as Ryzens, I switched from Intel to Ryzen 2700x last year and never had any issues with it. Now I'm using 3700x and it's looking good also.

Edited by lmu2002
addition

Hi Billy it strange you say that about plugins I haven't heard that before. I haven't had any problems with plugins.

I had a few issues with other daws I tried a few when sonar went under. Cubase was bad I could only have one izotope breaktweaker and it was using more than half the cpu power of my old fx 8350. But I think it doesn't use plugin balancing the same way as sonar because I could 4-5 breaktweakers in one project with sonar.