Focusrite update BSOD a gogo - Update

Jeremy Oakes

7 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

I seem to remember something involving Windows 10 and Firewire about needing to use a legacy firewire driver or something along those lines. Anyone know the details, or was I imagining something?

It depends on your Firewire adapter. I was using an older one with Windows 7, and found I had to use the legacy drivers with Windows 10.

The modded Yamaha 01X/i88x drivers I was using however, didn't play well with it in Windows 10, so I managed to get one that didn't require the legacy drivers (for less than $10):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swiftswan-FireWire-IEEE1394A-Expansion-Incidental/dp/B07FZ4DKZT/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=Swiftswan+PCI+Express+PCI-E+FireWire+IEEE1394A+VIA+Chip&qid=1569977528&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Chipsets are a big thing as well - some audio devices prefer TI chipsets, others prefer VIA, so best to check what they recommend.

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread but wanted to share my similar experience.

After 2.5 years of inactivity, I decided to revive my music hobby. I used to have Sonar X1 and Sonar Platinum. Haven't gotten to trying out the free CbB yet. I figured I'd kick off with Sonar X1 as I have all installers, docs, and experience with that. Well, upon first launch of X1, it will run the Wave Profiler, and bam, BSOD. After some experimenting, it was obvious that it was the latest Focusrite driver that is causing this. What I found is that the WDM/KS driver is at fault.  There's all sorts of ugly things going on. E.g. the inputs of my 18i8 also show up with some funky "fniusbwave" names as well. Sonar X1 would also complain about them and ask to disable. ASIO on the other hand is perfectly fine with proper names for the inputs.

As I still had my old drivers lying around, I gave those a try, and that didn't give any issue at all. Wave Profiler would run fine, and the inputs under the WDM/KS driver model were also properly named. Unfortunately ASIO did stutter with these drivers as I experienced with Dimension Pro. So in the end I returned to the latest drivers. 

Now I just hope that there are no other programs that may be using the WDM drivers, like regular Windows programs, and would cause a crash. So far, no problem with things like Spotify or YouTube.

EDIT: I had the problem with driver version 4.63.24.564, which is also mentioned in this thread. Through Google, I found out that Focusrite also publishes a beta driver here http://beta.focusrite.com/releases/focusrite_usb2_drivers/ . So I took a shot at installing 4.64.15.598, and to my big surprise this effectively fixes the BSOD. Or at least the one that I could easily trigger with the Wave Profiler. The funky fniusbwave names are still there for WDM/KS but at least the most important issue got resolved !

Edited by Rocsee70

Been getting blue screen USBDRV issue since installing Sonar and then CbB  around 3 years ago but only maybe once every month.

I think there is a problem with the actual USB bus of the motherboard I use as even with no other USB devices I have seen this issue.

In terms of the Focusrite drivers, the latest update for the Scarlett 2i2 gave me some awful issues as did the one previous to this. Had all sorts of plugins saying they couldn't be found but could be seen before these updates. Also found the latency and glitching on higher buffers seemed worse than the previous version as well.

Since I made the mistake of updating my Scarlet 6i6 drivers about a month ago (the first since I bought it 4 years ago) I've been having numerous issues.  I wish I would've just let it alone.  It was working fine up till then.  The other day I got a BSOD when I switched on the interface (I usually boot the computer first, then flip the switch on the back of the Scarlett).  This one said to google "Bad Pool Header" which I did and it said that that particular error usually means a device driver problem and as it happened right after switching the unit on I took it that the rogue driver was the Scarlett driver.  I emailed Focusrite tech support and they told me to DL and try the recently revised driver from their beta page-http://beta.focusrite.com/  .   

I didn't try it yet.  I'm afraid to.

I also don't appreciate the fact that they take 5 or 6 days to reply to a tech support issue.  They emailed me as survey form before I even got the answer and I responded negatively.   I'm considering trying another interface,

😊John B

I've installed the 3.5.0 Driver with the new Firmware on my 18i20 2nd Gen and I am now getting frequent BSODs.

It also started with a bunch of WINDOWS updates at / around the same time, so at the moment I am lost as to what exactly is causing it.

1 hour ago, spiffo said:

I've installed the 3.5.0 Driver with the new Firmware on my 18i20 2nd Gen and I am now getting frequent BSODs.

It also started with a bunch of WINDOWS updates at / around the same time, so at the moment I am lost as to what exactly is causing it.

Funny that, i updated W10 just before installing the 3.5 software//driver and today not one crash, (Cakewalk VLC, WMP etc).

FWIW, one thing i did do just after installing was to change from 48 to 44.1 which is what most of my projects are at, before trying any software. 

Best,

J

What USB Port do you plug your Focusrite Audio Interfaces into. I had mine on a USB3 Hub into a USB3 Port but the somehow the Driver got corrupted and I had to Re-Install it, I thought the 18i20 2nd Gen was bricked at first. Now I have it on a USB2 Port directly onto the Motherboard, is that the best thing?

And then when I got that working Cakewalk would hang the entire PC when I tried to launch it, I've just tracked that down to my MOTU Express XT which I now also have removed from the USB3 Hub and plugged into a USB2 Port on the Motherboard. Cakewalk is now launching OK!

What's puzzling is the 18i20 and the Express XT were both in that USB3 Hub for a while and everything was fine, now I have to put them on their own USB2 Ports, why?